Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2024

3/9/24 Report - Finds that Present Questions: Gold Ring. Mystery Object. Terra Cotta Money Box From Mexico.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


New Narrow Gold Ring Find.

Here is a new ring find.  I didn't think much of it at first.  Then I saw the 18K mark.  



I also thought the design on the band was Ks, but after getting a better look, I don't think they are Ks, but something more abstract or symbolic.

Do you recognize the design?

---

People asked for more angles on one of the mystery objects.  I cleaned it and took more photos.  Here they are.


Definitely looks like it was made to screw onto something.  I just checked and it is threaded inside the large hole.  But that wasn't my biggest surprise.

After cleaning with WD-40, I discovered the little top can be pushed down a little.  It looks something like a sprayer, but seems way too heavy for perfume or anything like that.


 Again, what do you think?

---

Here is an old Treasure Coast that after sitting around a number of years I finally decided to research.


Terra Cotta Figure Marked MADE IN MEXICO.

It is about 2.5 inches high and about two inches wide and made of terra cotta or clay.  I'm not sure what the shape represents, but to me it kinda looks like an acorn.

It has a slot in the top but no cork or way to open it other than breaking it.  Initially that left me wondering if it was a bank because the banks I knew opened so you could remove the coins without destroying the bank.  

Gives new meaning to the phrase "break the bank." I always enjoy learning the origin and evolution of words and phrases.

After doing some research I'm certain the item is a coin bank.  The slot is pretty crude, but the right size for a coin and I found many other similar items - though not exactly the same.

I learned that terra cotta banks were common back to and beyond the Roman era.  I found mention of examples from the 2nd century BC.  

When I did my research, I found that terra cotta early clay money boxes were often shaped like chests but also a variety of other shapes including, of course, actual piggy banks.  Although I found a lot of examples from archaeological excavations, similar banks are still being made today. 

Money boxes have a long history and varied history.  Four were found at Pompeii.  Those were shaped like chests.

Here is a brief excerpt from one archaeological study.

There is a class of objects, many of which are probably children's savings-banks or money-boxes, which are not mentioned anywhere in Greek or Latin literature. If they were, the word used probably would be 0•Gravp's in Greek and thesaurus or loculus in Latin. We know them from archaeology, and the number listed as preserved in museums and private collections has increased from six' to about fifty. They have been discussed by Graeven in his excellent article, Die thinerne Sparbiichse im Altertum, published in the Jb. Arch. I. XVI, 1901, pp. 160-189...  (Source; 497738 (uchicago.edu))

Ebay lists a large number of terra cotta "piggy banks."  Some are vintage and some are more modern.  Here are a few of those.


And here is an ancient example.

There are a variety of stories on how money boxes came to be known as piggy banks.  Here is one.

Over the next two hundred to three hundred years, as the English language evolved, the clay (pygg) and the animal (pigge) came to be pronounced the same, and Europeans slowly forgot that pygg once referred to the earthenware pots, jars and cups of yesteryear. So in the 19th century when English potters received requests for pygg banks, they started producing banks shaped like pigs. This clever — albeit accidental — visual pun appealed to customers and delighted children...  (Source: Why Is A Piggy Bank Called A 'Piggy' Bank? (scienceabc.com)_

I just got started on this and could keep going but I'll leave that up to you if you are at all interested.

I found the topic very interesting, and this is one case when I suspect there is a lot more to it. 

If you are interested, here is a great article on early British money boxes


Too bad there weren't any coins in the one I found.

One thing that surprised me most is the widespread use across both time and geography.   

==

Today I heard someone on TV refer to the phone ringing off the hook.  I bet that most people today do not know there was a time when phones were hung on hooks.

---

If you have any clocks that need it, it will be time to spring forward this weekend.


But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. 2 Corinthians 4:7.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net