Search This Blog

Friday, May 10, 2024

5/10/24 Report - A Couple More Treasure Beach Mystery Items. Great Find From a Garden. Childhood Toy Rediscovered.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



A geography teacher was tidying his overgrown garden at his home in Coventry, England, when he stumbled across a rock with mysterious incisions. Intrigued, he sent photographs to a local archaeologist and was taken aback to learn that the markings were created more than 1,600 years ago and that the artefact was worthy of a museum.

The rectangular sandstone rock that Graham Senior had discovered was inscribed in ogham, an alphabet used in the early medieval period primarily for writing in the Irish language...

Here is the link for more about that.

Ancient Irish ogham stone found in geography teacher’s garden in England – The Irish Times

---

Yesterday I posted a variety of my mystery finds.  There are some that I didn't think of yesterday that I thought I'd post.  Here is one of them.

The item shown below was found on a shipwreck beach just a few years ago.  I thought it looked like a piece of what I called a latch.  After some research and help by readers, I learned that the correct term for it the item is "hasp."

Mystery Find From Treasure Coast Beach That  Was Solved.
Same Item with Dime For Size.

It has some design work on it.  I could have been used on a book or something else.  Below is a photo of a hasp with a swing latch.

Hasp with Swing Latch.


While the mystery item above is solved to my satisfaction, the one below is still a complete mystery.  It is silver, the shape of a napkin ring but much smaller.  It was found on one of the 1715 Fleet beaches.



And here is the same item on a dime for size comparison.

Silver Mystery Item On Dime.

It seems most like an earring (or nose ring) to me, but there is no evidence of any means of hooking it other than clasping it tighter.  I've had no help with this one, and although earring is my best guess, I have virtually no confidence in that identity.  

Let me know what you think.

---

Here is an item that is not a metal detector find.  It is one of my childhood toys that I my wife just found in an old box.  

I remember playing with this it way back.  I think maybe it was in the 1950s, I think.  The company that made it is the Glen Dimension Co., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as it is marked on the bottom. I can't find any information on the company, but thought it was colorful and artistic. I have seen a few cars from the company listed on the internet, but none of those have the driver.  I think the colors and space-age look are neat.  If you can find more info on this item please let me know.


1950s Toy Car by Glen Dimension Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin.


I tried to catch some good photos of this colorful vintage car.

When I look at vintage items like this they almost always show they were made in the US, which you almost never see on modern items.

---

The wind is SSE and the surf is similar, but only about two feet.  The tides, however, are pretty big.  Good high and low tides.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net