Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2024

5/24/24 Report - Thirty-Two Hoards Found My Detectorists Described. History of Characteristics of Insulators. Clubs.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


LiveScience.com provides this overview of 32 different centuries-old hoards unearthed by metal detectorists. Each hoard is pictured and described.  A really good list.

Above is a photo of one of the hoards.

And here is the link for the entire article.

 https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/stunning-centuries-old-hoards-unearthed-by-metal-detectorists 

Thanks to Mark G. for the link.

---

Have you found any old insulators?  Some can be pretty valuable. 

I like glass, whether it is in marbles, bottles or insulators.  I've found quite a few insulators while bottle hunting, but don' think I've posted many of them or got into the subject hardly at all.  

Most found insulators are common, of course, just like bottles, but occasionally you find one that is nicer or can be worth a little more.  

I did show a few of my insulator finds before. Here is a nice one that I posted in the psat. 


Blue Hemingray-19 Insulator.

I posted that one in The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 4/29/19 Report - Incidental Sight Finds: Insulators. $30 Billion Dollar Treasure Story. Cookout Huge Success.

I just saw one on eBay that had a bid of $299.00. 

The Hemingray-19 RDP was one of the last American insulators made in a range of colors. Produced into the 1930s, it combines a clean, modern design with the high quality of later production, but with the fancy colors of yore. The best of both worlds to some,,, 


Hemingray-19 Insulator Colors


Source: Hemingray-19 RDP Gallery | glassian

I found a nice article on insulators today.  Here is the link.

Ian Macky Explains the Colors and History of Insulators | Collectors Weekly

----

I found an old list of Florida metal detecting clubs.  I don't know how long ago it was published but from the other stuff in the box I'd guess it was at least a couple decades.  I thought I'd list them and see if any of them still exists.  If you know if they do or don't exist anymore, let me know.

S. E. Council of Fort Lauderdale, listed contact Don and Mary Cavanagh.

W.S.A.S. Club of Tampa, contact Charles and Sue Bodishbaugh.

Treasure Coast Club of Stuart, contact Mike Busalacchi.

Daytona Club of Orange City, contact Doug Melvin.

Jacksonville Club, of Jacksonville, contact Billy Pippin.

Suncoast Reseach and Recovery Club of Clearwater, contact Jill and Tony Quattrocki.

Central Florida Metal Detecting Club of Orlando contact Ted Smith.

Imperial Treasure Hunters of Lakeland contact Ralph Tanner.

Weeki Wachee Club of New Port Richie contact John Winterbottom.

If you have any news or info on any of these, let me know.  I'm not sure where the list came from. I just found it on a loose page.  Some of the clubs may still exist and others not.  Let me know.

---

We'll have a small surf of one to two feet all week.  There is a big full moon, but the high tides are nothing special.  We will however have a nice negative low in the afternoon.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net