Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2024

9/1/24 Report - Another Fine Treasure Coast Cob Find Showing Denomination Mark. Historic Stanley Hotel In Estes.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Another Half-Reale Showing 1/2 Denomination Mark.


I receive the above photo and following email from Bruce E.

 I would like to follow up on your article about the fraction ½ appearing on the half Reale. I have included a picture of one I found brought up by the March of 1996 storm.  Indeed it would seem that these coins are somewhat rare.
 
I have a 1998-9th edition of Calico,Calico, andTrigo; that lists this style or type coin first being used at the Mexico mint in 1715. If anyone can find concrete information that the fraction ½ appeared before 1715; I would appreciate knowing all the details.

Scott and I have known each other for decades; but until now never realize we both had an example of this unique coin. It also turns out that apparently several years had transpired between our two finds.

Comparing the two coins; there are some differences to be observed. It appears that the legend of Scott's coin, compared to mine, it is slightly rotated clockwise with respect to the monogram. In that I am saying if you compare the base of the P of Phili p pvs, to the 2 in the ½ ; you can see a slight rotation clockwise.

Also if you compare the dot in the legend at the bottom, to the Fleur De Lis in the monogram; you can see a slight clockwise rotation. 

Therefore one might conclude that the two coins were not struck by the same die.
All of this just goes to show you that you'll never know what information may turn up may be years after a find!  

Again I welcome any information offered on this subject. 

Thank you Bruce E.


Thanks for sharing Bruce.

I agree.  I've held onto finds for many years before figuring out what they are.  All of a sudden you stumble on some crucial picture or piece of information.  It can take some time.  The research is another kind of hunt.  You can always do more research when you have some old finds. 

I just looked in my copy of the sixth edition (1985) of the Calico et al book and on page 301 they have a cob like this listed as type 198.  They have that type beginning in 1702 and continuing to 1731.  The picture is small and I can barely make out the 1/2.  Since my book is an older addition, yours is probably more correct.

I went back and looked at the Menzel book again. 

Here is one statement from that book (p. 108) in the section on Phillip V half reals:  "Note that the use of the fraction 1/2 to represent the denomination had come into use by 1719."   

 The Menzel book was published in 2004, significantly later than the Calico book we've referenced.  Maybe more has been learned since 2004.  Anybody?

That leaves me with a number of questions.  

That is a later date than what we have been talking about.  Further research is necessary.

Thanks again for sharing with us all.

---

Historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Colorado.


The Shining was on TV the other day.  It brought back memories.  

The Stanley Hotel is in Estes Colorado, which is a nice resort area near the Rocky Mountain National Park.  The town of Estes had some good shops.  There was a good geology shop that had a lot of gems and dinosaur and other fossils.  There was also a shop that had a lot of antiques and artifacts including a nice selection of Spanish cobs.

When I was there one time I stayed at the historic Stanley hotel, which is where Stephen King was staying when he was inspired by his own paranormal experience to write the novel.  

When I watched the movie, I noticed that it didn't look like the Stanley, and it wasn't.  It was filmed at a hotel that looked similar.  But King who was dissatisfied by the movie and made a mini-series which was filmed at the Stanley.  I've also seen the Stanley hotel featured on some ghost-hunter TV shows.

The day I was leaving I was going down the hall, and some little kid took a photo of me.  His mom asked him why he did that.  He said, "in case he was a ghost."  I thought that was funny.

... That specific room has a haunted history involving the chief housekeeper, Elizabeth Wilson. In 1911, Wilson was injured in an explosion caused by lighting a lantern. Though she survived the event, it's said that she still wanders around the room, moving luggage and folding clothes. King claimed to have seen a young boy while going to his room, which wasn't possible considering he and his wife were the only confirmed guests. There have been several other accounts detailing unexplained noises, figures, and personal objects stolen or broken.

While roaming the real hotel, King felt inspired by the long corridors and the isolated feel. His experience instantly gave him the idea for the horror novel. The Stanley Hotel was built by Freelan Oscar Stanley of the Stanley Steamer fame, and opened in 1909...

I'll admit that I had some unusual experiences when we stayed there.  

When I vacation at historic locations (or go almost anywhere) I'm always look at it for treasure hunting opportunities.  Although we spent most of our days hiking the Rockies, one evening I took a walk up the hill behind the hotel and I found a lot of vintage and antique glass shards.  I also checked out the creek running through Estes.

Here is the link for more about the Stanley Hotel.


One thing nice about metal detecting famous locations is you have some advance information on the history of the place, and yuu have probably seen some photos before you go, which might give you some good clues.  
---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Unless something changes, it doesn't look like anything shown on the map will affect us a lot - no direct hits, anyway.

The surf will get a little bigger, but not much, towards the end of the week.

There will be another evening nice high tide.

In recent years, the fall season has provided some of your best beach metal detecting - especially November.  Here we are at September already.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net