Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2024

9/27/24 Report - Helene Hits Panhandle and Runs. Beaches Reopen Today. Continuing South Winds.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Helene is now a tropical storm somewhere up in Georgia.  I'm sure the reports of damage in the Panhandle was extensive though I haven't read the reports yet.

Locally, the Indian River County beaches are expected to open this morning.  

Yesterday, I mentioned an inverted coin line that I found at the bottom of the slope at one beach.  What I mean by "inverted" coin line, is a coin line in which the larger denomination coins were generally higher up the slope, even though ever so slightly, than the pennies.  I didn't dig the entire line so am going from a limited sample size, but from what I dug, it looked like an inverted line.

When the larger coins are higher on the slope, I take that as a sign that the line was created by coins washing out of the sand and down the slope rather than being washed in from the water.  It seems to work out that way.

There was still a lot of sand and I didn't get the impression that there was much chance of anything real old being found where I was.  The coins were encrusted and green, but probably weren't out there more than a few years, at most, and in most cases much less.

The slope was still not very firm, despite the amount of erosion.  The erosion wasn't real fresh by the time I got there yesterday morning.  The waves were pretty parallel to the beach at that time too despite the south wind.  The sand was really blowing along the beach from south to north.


Source: Surfguru.com.

Looks like the wind is still from the south this morning.  I'd check those spots that were eroded by south winds in recent months.  There is a good chance they opened up again.  I'm sure there will be some good spots to metal detect if you search them out.

The high tides are still running pretty high.  Low tides in morning and evening.

More of the beaches will be open today.


Source: surfguru.com.

The surf will be decreasing today and for a few more days before increasing again later next week.

This is more my kind of beach weather.  That summer heat was getting old.  It was a nice change, but I do feel sorry for those people up in the Panhandle.  Maybe make a donation or pitch in somehow.

---

Hurricane Helene live updates: 6 dead, 3 million without power.

Here is that link.

Hurricane Helene live updates: 6 dead, 2 million without power (msn.com)


---

Why Homes Are Collapsing on Cape Hatteras National Seashore

As sea levels rise because of melting glaciers and ice sheets, coastal communities like Rodanthe face increased risk of damage as the water erodes the shoreline. Since the early 1980s, the sea level along some parts of North Carolina has risen by roughly three inches...

Here is that link.

Why Homes Are Collapsing on Cape Hatteras National Seashore | Smithsonian (smithsonianmag.com)


Three inches of water will knock a house down every time.  Reminds me of the three little pigs story.

---

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net