Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2024

9/3/24 Report - Fossil Shells With Calcite Crystal Found on Treasure Coast. Treasure Coast Piece-of-Eight From Old World Coin?

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Crystalized Shell Found by Terry T.

Terry T. sent these photos along with the following email.

Hi. It’s been awhile since I emailed. Found this the other day. The one shell has yellow crystals inside. I was going to toss it out until I looked closer. I never would have thought to look close, but following your blog for years has taught me a lot. 
I believe it came from a local pit used for fill. I’m thinking about busting open the piece to see what else may be inside and not damaging the shell with the crystals. 
The whole thing is all compressed shells.  I guess it could classify as an EO - lol. 

Thanks again for all the info you have provided over the years. 


Two Views of Conglomerate Containing Fossil Shell
Find and photos by Terry T.


I posted on this kind of beach treasure before.  


Phillip V Eight-Reale Minted in Madrid.
From the Calico et al book Monedas Espanolas...

When I looked at the cut piece of eight shown yesterday and shown today below, two things stuck out to me.  First was the sharpness of the cut and details, and the second was the neat little flower-like device to the right of the "RUM."  I was thinking the slice could have come from an Old World coin.

I went to the Calico et al book that I've been referring to a lot recently and looked at the Phillip V eight reale examples.  I found some that look like they could be the source of the slice.  Above is an example from the Madrid mint.  I added the lines to approximate the cut.  Notice the similarity with Scott's cut piece.  That is a pretty good, though not an exact, match.  

Cut Piece of Eight Submitted by Scott C.

Eight reales minted at the Segovia and Seville mints are very similar to the Madrid example shown above.  In fact, as I look at it just now, Scott's piece might be a more exact match to the Segovia example shown in the Calico book. 

So, could it be a piece of an Old World reale?  It looks like maybe it could.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Keep watching.

Onley a one to two foot surf is expected for the Treasure Coast this week.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net