Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.
![]() |
| Left to Right: Large Aluminum Token, Smaller Aluminum Token, Copper Token, 40% Kennedy Half, 80% Kennedy Quarter, washer. |
I planned to do this post a couple days ago, but I didn't get all the good screen photos I wanted. The delay worked out, as is often the case, because I saw something else which changed my focus.
In my previous post I commented on a YouTube video that demonstrated one fellow's "trick" to save time metal detecting. After seeing that video, I stumbled upon another YouTube video explaining the use of the Manticore graphic target-ID display, and although the video was excellent, when the fellow was demonstrating how to use the Manticore display to make dig/no dig decisions in the field he came across a target that gave him a confusing signal. He couldn't determine what the target was, and fortunately, he dug the target. It turned out to be a coin standing on edge and down about four inches.
I've done posts and even a video or two in the past on how detectors respond to coins standing on edge rather than lying flat. The fellow could have used that information.
I've shown several times how the position of coins and other items in the ground affects metal detector signals. If the coil sweeps parallel to the edge of a coin that is standing on edge, for example, you won't get nearly as strong signal as you would if you were sweeping the coil perpendicular to the edge. You get a very different signal depending upon whether you sweep one way or another across a coin standing on edge.
Items like that provide a very good signal when sweeping in one direction but produce a very different signal when the coil is swept the other way. That does not happen for round coins lying flat on the ground. A good strong signal can get very weak or disappear completely if you change the direction of your coil movement when a target is not round.
The fellow in the video was doing a great job of demonstrating the use of the Manticore display to identify some of the buried targets, but when he got a signal from a coin on edge, he could have gotten a better idea of the buried target if he did something a little differently. If he only swept the coil in different directions, he would have seen a strong signal when sweeping in one direction but the signal would be much weaker or even disappear if he swept at another angle. That is something I've talked about for decades.
Below is the screen display for the large aluminum token shown in the photo at the top of this post when token was lying flat on the ground. As you can see on the display shown below, it produced a very nice signal with a strong and stable conductivity number no matter which direction I swept. That is the kind of display you'll see when a coin is lying flat.
![]() |
| Large Aluminum Token Readout When Flat. |
However, below is the display when the same token was stuck in the ground so it stood on edge.
![]() |
| Readout From Same Aluminum Token On Edge. |
It is the same target, but you see a very different conductivity number and the target ID map looks very different. Just looking at the two displays, would you ever guess that it was the same target? I think not.
When swinging parallel to the edge of the large aluminum token standing on edge, the readout shows a much lower conductivity number AND shows a very different display on the ID map. In both cases, though, the object showed up on or near the center line..
I'm only showing one single snapshot though. You might see a trace or tail leading one way or another from the center line. The spot might be as well defined as I'm showing here.
When the token was on edge, it presented a smaller surface area to the coil. If you slanted the token from standing straight up, maybe leaning it at a 45 degree angle, you'd get a stronger signal. You'd also probably see a trace or tail from the main spot. I suggest doing your own experiments with that.
This post took me a long time to finish. I must have started it about five times. I couldn't include everything, but tried to include most of what I thought was important. There are really a lot of factors. I haven't even touched on some of them.
If you really want to ID a target without digging it up, I recommend at least sweeping over the target from a variety of directions. As I explained in my previous post, it might be quicker at times to simply dig.
---
There is nothing promising on either the NHC map or the surf charts.
I spent a lot of time on this post and still don't feel like I did a good job. It was hard to focus and organize because there are a lot of factors.
Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net


