Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2021

10/16/21 Report - Another Big Treasure Find On First Ever Hunt Described. The Encounter. Whites and Teknetics. Fossils Arriving.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: See MSN link below.


A metal detectorist discovered treasure worth thousands on his first ever hunt in Worcestershire, England earlier this year. Charles Cartwright unearthed Roman and Viking jewelry, as well as some ancient Egyptian relics and medieval and Bronze Age pieces (pictured). After finding the pieces Cartwright reported them to the landowner and the authorities, who went on to discover something even more remarkable about the treasures. Rather than being buried there over time, it was soon found that the items were actually those taken during a house burglary in 2017. It's thought whoever took the valuable treasures decided to bury them. The pieces have now been returned to their rightful owner, who had "resigned [them]selves that [they] wouldn't get them back as they had been gone that long". The investigation into who took the pieces in the first place is ongoing.

Here is the link, which will take you to an article on many other treasure finds.


Thanks to SuperRick for that link.

Another big find on a first hunt.  We seem to read about that a lot.  It brings up the subject of luck - particularly beginner's luck.  Interesting to think about.  But as I've pointed out before, there is almost always another person involved that has some level of knowledge or skill that benefits the "beginner."  Usually the beginner knows someone who metal detects and provides some insight in  metal detecting, metal detectors, and good hunting sites.  

But in this case there is another interesting point.  The items were old, but they were deposited not that long ago.  That can happen.  I've often said you can't tell when an item was buried or lost from the age of the item.  Old items can be lost and found or recovered and buried multiple times.  You might consider the case of stolen coins or the old coins that the kid takes to school for show and tell and loses on the way.  There were coins found on the Treasure Coast that were salvaged from a previous wrecking before being loaded onto one of the 1715 Fleet ships that wrecked along our coast.  I've mentioned before a treasure coin that I believe could have been lost once in a wrecking, then salvaged, and then loaded onto another ship which sank, salvaged again, purchased by a tourist from the Fisher organization, lost again and then found by a detectorist.

In the case of precious metals, items could have been mined very long ago and reused many times before being dug up by a detectorist.  It can be interesting to think about the long journey of the materials in such finds.  How many times has it  been handled, transformed and reshaped before being found - perhaps one more time?  

---

I've recently viewed a few videos.  One was by a guy that searches for fossils and Native American artifacts.  I also viewed some mudlarking and magnet fishing videos.   The over-the-top reaction of the searchers to every find, no matter how modest, seemed extreme or fake to me.  I wondered if vloggers exaggerated their reaction for dramatic effect.  And then I started to think that maybe I had become jaded.  I don't jump up and down and do a dance every time I dig up something. 

After thinking about it a little, I concluded that part of it is showmanship and part of it is personality.  I'm more of an analytical person and I'm not trying to make things seem like big discoveries to get more viewers.  That just isn't too important to me, and the exaggerated emotional reactions seem very fake. 

People are different though.  I'm very much interested in my finds, but I'm analytical about it, and perhaps finds do not seem as surprising to me as they once did.  That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them just as much.  In fact, I feel like I get more out of my finds these days, but it is different.  They have more meaning.  I understand them a little more.  They fit into a larger story.  And perhaps moe importantly, I am more at home with myself.

A find is an encounter.  You meet an object, but in the process you meet yourself.

You probably have heard the question, "If a tree falls in the forest with no one around to hear it, does it make a noise."  To me that depends upon how you define noise.  Is it a psychophysical event, a phenomenological event, or simply physics, or something else.  It is a philosophical question.

Upon encountering a find, there is sensing, thinking, feeling, and intuiting.  It is an interaction.  It is not just an object.  It is an encounter.  A find will be different things to different people.  

---

The same day I found the mystery object that I posted yesterday, I found this big piece of fossil bone on the beach.  I don't know what is from - other than a fairly large animal.


The main value to me is that it tells me that more fossils are likely not far away.  It has been years since I saw a piece of fossil this big on the beach.
 
---

I've been talking a little about old detectors lately.  Here is a link that will give you some history on Whites and the origin of Teknetics.  It has to do with the invention of discrimination and patents. 

WHITES' ELECTRONICS, INC. | 677 P.2d 68 (1984) | 77p2d681735 | Leagle.com

---

As hindsight comes into clearer focus, we're learning a lot about mistaken advice and policies amid the Covid-19 pandemic. One still murky and disputed area involves the death toll, now upwards of 640,000 in the U.S., according to CDC. Some insist the true count is much higher; others claim it's lower. Today, we begin with the startling results of our investigation that found in some documented cases, news that Covid was the cause of death was greatly exaggerated.

Here is a link that will take you to an article about that.

Counting Covid | Full Measure

Some of our government agencies lost a lot of credibility over the past year or so.  Too bad.

Human behavior continues to shock me.  I have long wondered how so many could permit and even participate in the horrors of the concentration/work camps of World War II.    Unfortunately, now I understand.  Power, as they say, is corrupting - especially for those  without any other personal sense of significance.  The most dangerous are so zealous and convinced of their delusions that they lose all sense of decency in the pursuit of  "the cause."  On the one side are the large number of damaged haters whose hate can channeled and used, while on the other side, are those who do not buy into the delusion but who are manipulated and controlled by propaganda and intimidation.  

---


For the first time in a long time there is no tropical activity shown on  National Hurricane Center map.


I'm hopeful that winter will bring us some better beach detecting.  It has been a long slow summer.


The biggest surf this week will be Wednesday.  Expect three to four foot surf that day.


Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net