Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2021

10/17/21 Report - Treasure Coast Detectorist Finds 45 BC Gold Stater. Traveling and Detecting.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Mitch King Showing Ancient Gold Coin Find.
Photo submitted by Mitch.

So if you think an 18th or 17th century find is old, take a look at this ancient coin that was found by a well-known Treasure Coast detectorist and long-time friend of this blog.

Above is Mitch King proudly showing his find. Mitch sent me the photos along with the following email message.

I wanted to share a fantastic find I made while I was in England last week. The find of a lifetime!
A GOLD Coin. Full Celtic Stater of Addedomarus. 45BC !
Addedomarus (sometimes written Aθθedomarus on coins) was a king of south-eastern Britain in the late 1st century BC. His name is known only from his inscribed coins, the distribution of which seem to indicate that he was the ruler of the Trinovantes. It is now in the care of the British Museum awaiting the coroner's review and approval for export.
Mitch King
Vice President
Treasure Coast Archeological Society
Coin Hunter of the year Colchester England 2019

45 BC Celtic Stater of Addedomarus Found by Mitch King.

Photos by Mitch King.

Congratulations Mitch!  Super find!  Thanks for sharing.


I've been posting a lot of big finds made by first time hunters, but this is a case that shows the obvious benefits of experience and skill.  Mitch has been doing it a long time and has made a lot of great finds.

It is common occurrence for this blog's readers to preserve history for the public of Florida by contributing to the Florida Collection, but now we know that Treasure Coast detectorists are contributing to a much broader population, including the British Museum and possibly many more.

---


I always enjoyed taking my detector with me when I traveled, but I haven't been able to do that for at least the past 10 or 12 years due to my caretaking duties. I do miss traveling, but if you are able, that is something you should try. While I haven't done it in recent years,  I have talked to people who have had no trouble taking their detector on flights.

If you plan to travel to new places to detect, don't forget to do your research first.  It can help a lot.   

I was once contacted by some people visiting the Treasure Coast from California who wanted someone to guide them on a Treasure Coast beach hunt. They meeded to rent detectors. I gave them a lead to someone that could provide that service.  

There have been many times in years gone by that I'd be at some nice location, such as Yellowstone or some castle in Europe such as Neuschwanstein Castle, and just drooled thinking about what was there to be found -  if only I could detect it.

When I was doing consulting I would often take my detector when I traveled and I still fondly remember detecting places such as the lakes of Minnesota, which seemed like virgin territory at the time.  Then there was Milton Florida, where one fellow who worked at the Pensacola Naval Air Station took me after work.  And places like Pigeon Island in St. Lucia.  I've talked about that in this blog  before.  All fond memories.

Anyhow, detecting when you travel can be a lot of fun.  Each area has its own history and types of objects.  There is, of course, a disadvantage of detecting places that you don't know well,  or should I say, a huge advantage when you know the area very well.   You can learn a lot by hunting different types of locations and different kinds of targets,

I'm fortunate that there is a lot to be found within a few miles of my house.  There are relics, fossils, bottles, and, of course, I can do some quick beach detecting from time to time.

===

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

It doesn't look like there is anything to stir up the Treasure Coast beaches in he near future.

The high tides are still big.  The low tides are not very low though.

We'll surely get some good cold fronts moving in before long and  hopefully some good nor'easters.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net