Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2022

3/14/22 Report - Changing Beach Landscapes. Triangulation Markers Of By-gone Days. Marking and Positioning.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Old Anchor Along South Indian River Drive.


I decided to go take a look at the beach Sunday.  Here is John Brooks.


John Brooks Beach Sunday Around Noon.

As you can see there wasn't much erosion.  There were some small cuts at the curve to the north.


John Brooks Beach Sunday Around Noon.

And you can see just a little erosion to the south.


John Brooks Beach Sunday Afternoon.

The slope wasn't very firm.

---

Changing Landscapes.

I don't know how long ago it was, but in the trees or dunes opposite a treasure salvage site, there used to be big square (mostly) signs with letters painted on them.  I guess it might have been maybe twenty years ago.  I know there were just a few remaining more recently than the others.  

If you've been around very long, you probably remember some of those markers.  The ones I remember most clearly were at John Brooks and Frederick Douglass.  Many were in dead Australian pines.  As I recall, the markers were red or orange with big white letters on them.  The Australian pines, which are considered an invasive species, were removed from John Brooks and Frederick Douglass parks.

If you don't remember those old markers, in the days before everybody was using GPS, they were used by salvors to triangulate their position.  I wish I had a photo handy to show some of those.   

---

I used to use triangulation a lot myself, mostly when water hunting is South Florida. 

Usually you can find some kind of markers to use.  A single line is enough to help some, although it won't give you the precise point.  Trees, rocks, telephone poles, docks, houses, or whatever can all be used.  It is not real precise, but it can help.  If you can line up a tree stump with a rock, or something like that, it is enough to put you on a line, which can be a big help by itself.  Sometimes a single marker will help, especially if you can remember the angle.  I'm pretty good at the angles.  

Sometimes, if I find something I don't want to carry a long distance, I leave it to pick up on the return trip.  I'm really bad at that though.  I often get tuned into hunting again, and pass by the item that I left to be picked up.  Sometimes I'll leave a big line or X in the sand, and still pass it up.  Sometimes the mark will get erased by the water by the time I return, so it has to go up safely into the dry sand.

If you are just digging coins, you won't need to leave much behind, but if you are picking up something like bottles, you might not be able to carry them all.  And if you put them in plastic shopping bags, all it takes is for two bags to swing together, and inevitably it is the best bottle that breaks.

===

Source: MagicSeaweed.com

Nothing special in the surf predictions.  The tides are starting to increase a little, but so far, barely.

---

John 11:32 - 35.

32When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34“Where have you laid him?” he asked.

“Come and see, Lord,” they replied.

35Jesus wept.

---

TreasureGuide@comcast.net