Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2022

3/6/22 Report - Old treasure books, magazines, newsletters, and other research materials. Study on Spanish coin silver.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report..


Various Treasure and Diving Magazines, Newsletters, Books and Photocopies

I thought I sold all my treasure magazines when I sold a few hundred of them a number of years ago, but my wife, who was cleaning up in the garage, just showed me what she found.  I was amazed.

A lot of the photocopies dealt with Florida treasures and shipwrecks, but there were a lot of other things as well, some of them pretty rare.

I'm afraid it will take a lot of time just to see what all is in there.  I don't believe I've seen these for nearly twenty years.

One thing I found is an book I totally forgot about: It is Treasure Hunting Bibliography and Index to Periodical Articles.  It is by John H. Reed, and has 425 pages listing over 5200 articles.  It was published in 1989.

And there is a magazine called ShipWrecks.  I don't know if it is still around.  I don't think so.  I have Volume one, number one, and at least the first three issues.  Might be more in there somewhere.

I noticed in that on, an article on the wreck of the City of Vera Cruz, sometimes called the Florida Jewelry Wreck.  It is located about twelve miles of Cape Canaveral.

I also noticed the premier issue, 1989, and a lot of other issues of Treasure Diver magazine.

I found several issues of Land Sea Explorations newsletter, which was formed in 1987 by Glenn Carson.  It was group of treasure hunters that got together to pursue real treasure projects.  Here is how the newsletter described the purpose of the group.  "Its primary goal is the engagement in valid practical treasure projects wherein the probable recovery warrants members involvement."  Members got involved with a variety of projects.  Members would share leads and information and gather to work on projects as they developed.  There were mining projects, caches hunted, shipwrecks, etc. etc.  One group, for example, invested in a Mexico silver mine.

I also found some club newsletters.  For example, the Pulltab Express, the newsletter of a metal detecting club in the Hollywood Fl area.  There was also a copy of the TH'ers Express from Ames, Iowa, or was it Nebraska.

Also lots and lots of maps and information on treasure and wreck sites.

Those came from the time when things were typed on paper instead of social media.  I'm glad I found them.   Lots of good information there.

---

Between 1520 and 1650, Spain’s economy suffered crippling and unrelenting inflation in the so-called Price Revolution. Most historians have attributed that inflation, in part, to the importation, starting in 1550, of silver from the Americas, which supposedly put much more currency into circulation in Spain. But in a report out this week, a team of researchers argues that for more than a century the Spanish did not use this imported silver to make coins, suggesting that the amount of money circulating in Spain did not increase and could not have triggered the inflation...

Conquistador Silver May Not Have Sunk Spain's Currency | Science | AAAS

I think the sample is too small to form firm conclusions.

---


Nothing very exciting there.

Happy hutning,

TreasurGuide@comcast.net