Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2022

3/20/22 Report - Collection of Charles and Joanna Coins. Seminole Milk Co. And Other Bottles. Consider Sifting.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


About the Clyde Hubbard Collection of Charles and Joanna  Coins To Be Offered by Sedwick Coins.
Source: Sedqick Coins Email.

You might remember that there were some Charles and Joanna coins found on the Treasure Coast back a year or two ago.

I keep thinking maybe I already posted the above, but can't find it right now, and it won't hurt to post it again if I didn't.


-----


Newly Dug Seminole Milk Company Bottle
Jacksonville, FL.  Circa 1927.


This bottle reads as follows. 

HALF PINT
LIQUID
PROPERTY OF
AND CONTAINS
MILK OR CREAM
PASTEURIZED AND BOTTLED
BY
SEMINOLE MILK COMPANY
JACKSONVILLE, FLA.

 
It was not easy to get a good photo of this bottle.  Maybe I can get a better photo.  Even when the bottle is well lit and well positioned, the embossing has so many words that with the curvature of the bottle you can't capture all the text in a single photo.

The bottle is in great shape.  No cracks or chips.  It also has some great grip bumps around the neck.

The maker's mark is a 5/W, which indicates Winslow Glass Works, circa 1912 - 1927.  I read elsewhere that the Seminole Milk Company operated 1926 - 1936.  I'd place this bottle around 1927.  Great piece of Florida dairy history.

Thursday I took a little walk and found the two bottles shown below.  I was surprised to find them.  I saw very little that was even close to anything good or old until I picked up the brown bottle, which isn't anything great, but it is old.  Then I saw a moss covered lump about two feet away that looked about the right size and shape, and when I picked it up and discovered it was also a stopper-top bottle.  Again, nothing great, but I was surprised to find any old bottles and doubly surprised to find two within a foot or two of each other.

Then Friday, if you remember that old pepper tree I started to remove before spotting a piece of an old Atlantic Coast Lines serving plate, my wife started to uncover the roots of the same tree so I could cut them.  That is when she found the bottle above.  Now that is a nice bottle - much better than the two I found the day before when I went out looking for old bottles. 


Two Recent Stopper-Top Bottle Finds.

I went back to check out the holes around where my wife found the Seminole Milk Company bottle.  I stuck my coil in the holes she dug and worked around the area a little more.   After finding nothing in the holes or dirt, I expanded my search area a little more.  I detected a lot of iron, which I mostly discriminated for the time being and picked up a few items.\

One appeared to be a flattened copper tube with some cutouts.  I found the following information on it.

ADLAKE PAT. APR 27, 1909.


That was helpful.  I quickly found information on the Adams and Westlake Company.  They make a lot of railroad signal lights.

Here is a very good link if you are interested in Railroadiana.  

Adams & Westlake 1907 Catalog - Railroadiana Online

So I'm back on the railroad trail again.  

I saw in the catalog that Adams and Westlake also made locks very much like the one I found and posted last year.

My wife saw something about the Seminole Milk Company having a contract with railroads.  I didn't pay much attention to that until I found this piece with a 1909 date also being a railroad related piece.  I'm now thinking there is a good chance the flattened copper tube is from a signal light.

I also found a small button that was covered with blue cloth.  It took me a while to come up with it, but I'm now thinking it could be the kind of thing you'd find on the top of a hat or cap.  Nothing significant, but figuring things out is a part of the process that I like. 



I also found some hefty nails and a 22 long bullet.  

I often say there is always somewhere to hunt and something to find, and I keep finding that to be true.  I haven't had much time to drive to any of my favorite beach hunting sites, but have been enjoying finding older things close enough to my home, that I don't have to spend time in travel.  I keep finding stuff, although no gold coins, within walking distance from my home, and I keep being amazed by how much there is buried.  Besides the metal items you can detect, there are a lot of older items that you can dig up.  It takes a lot of work, but the amount of items keeps amazing me.  If you never really covered your yard well, or the areas close to home, I'd say give it a try.  You might not turn up any gold coins, but you never know what you will find until you look.  When you get a few minutes, you can give it a try.  I'll bet there is more there than you think.  

I did some posts on sifting.  You can find non-metallic items that way, but not only will sifting increase non-metallic finds, it will also increase your coin finds.  There are coins that you will find sifting that you will not find with your metal detector, for any of a variety of reasons.  

I did a post about four years ago, that shows what can be accomplished when you use a sifter.  Russ found over four hundred coins on a single lot.  He told what he found metal detecting on multiple sessions and also what he found sifting after metal detecting.  This is a very instructive post, and if you haven't read it, you definitely should.


---

We are having some good tides now, but not much surf.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net