Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2022

7/25/22 Report - History Ebook. Historic Heat Wave. Vatican Museum. Nother Bottle. Thinking of Old Sites.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: Use History of Florida link below.

Here is a lengthy history of Florida free ebook published in 1923.  You might find the first few sections most interesting since they deal with the earlier peiords.  

There are maps, photos and illustrations, and very detailed histories on some aeas such as the University of Florida, Jacksonville, Tampa etc.  

Check it out.

History of Florida - Google Books

 ---

There is currently a heat wave in the United States, but the heat wave of 1936 was far deadlier.

...The killer U.S. heat wave of 1936 spread as far north as Canada, led to the heat-related deaths of an estimated 5,000 people, sent thermometers to a record 121 degrees Fahrenheit in Steele, N.D., and made that July the warmest month ever recorded in the United States...

Here is the link for more about that heat wave.

Heat wave of 1936 killed 5,000, topped 120 degrees in North Dakota - The Washington Post

---

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican Museums are home to some of the most magnificent artworks in the world, from Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel to ancient Egyptian antiquities and a pavilion full of papal chariots. But one of the museum’s least-visited collections is becoming its most contested before Pope Francis’ trip to Canada.

The Vatican’s Anima Mundi Ethnological Museum, located near the food court and right before the main exit, houses tens of thousands of artifacts and art made by Indigenous peoples from around the world, much of it sent to Rome by Catholic missionaries for a 1925 exhibition in the Vatican gardens.

The Vatican says the feathered headdresses, carved walrus tusks, masks and embroidered animal skins were gifts to Pope Pius XI, who wanted to celebrate the Church’s global reach, its missionaries and the lives of the Indigenous peoples they evangelized.

But Indigenous groups from Canada, who were shown a few items in the collection when they traveled to the Vatican last spring to meet with Francis, question how some of the works were actually acquired and wonder what else may be in storage after decades of not being on public display...

Here is that link.

Vatican says they're gifts; Indigenous groups want them back | AP News

---

I received some emails from people that have been reading this blog daily for years.  Here is one of those.

Hey I just read your article on the Innisbawn whiskey bottle you found & those are the first & only pics I've seen of another bottle. I have one identical to yours that I found in a creek that runs through my family's ranch in Okeechobee.   Robert H.

Interesting to hear that the Inniabawn bottle is that rare and that one was found in Okeechobee.  I'm working on filling the TGBottleBar blog with Treasure Coast found bottles, and I'm also seeing what I can learn about local history from those bottles.  One thing I've noticed, and perhaps mentioned before, is that most of them come from East Coast cities, which seems to make sense since in the early 20th century much of the Treaasure Coast transportation was by sea and the FEC reailroad.  I'll have more on that kindof thing in the future.

Here is one more.  It is broken, yet I could tell where it came from and what it held.

Springfield Breweries Bottle

This one is broken and not woth anything except for the historical knowledge.  Like so many, it comesfrom an East Coast city (Springfield, Massachusetts), although farther away than most.  

I posted more information about this one on TGBottleBarn.blogspot.com.  It seems Springfield was known for its breweries.

See Springfield Breweries | Beer Bottle Museum (tbbm.org)

---

I also heard from some detectorists from South Florida that are daily readers of this blog.  One mentioned that he hunts one of my favorite old areas after I mentioned it in this blog.  Once you've spent a lot of time working a site that has produced some historic finds, like some of my old South Florida sites have, they become like old friends.  I'd really like to know they are doing and what kinds of things that have produced in recent years.  I know there was some good potential there and of course, I didn't finish them.  So I guess, it is kind of like a bit of unfinished business too.  

I'd love to get a good look at some of those areas now after being awaya couple decades.

 Another one I used to detect a lot, got tons of sand dumped on it, and I think the resort that was there was destroyed and replaced.

The more I write about some of my old sites, the more curious I become. 

That really set off a stream of detecting memories.

Nothing like getting to know a site over the decades.  Seems the connection is never lost even if you never return.

===

Still no significant tropical activity on the NHC map.

Tomorrow we'll have a little higher surf on the Treasure Coast, but only something like 3 o4 4 feet.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net