Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2022

7/7/22 Report - Some Old U.S. Coin Finds. Lots of 1715 Fleet Finds Made by Salvagers. Learning From Dreams.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the excusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Short Stack of Coins.

A lot is being found this year on the 1715 Fleet wrecks.  I received some photos, including one of the most beautiful pieces of gold that I've ever seen, but I don't have permission to post those, so I'll show you some less impressive but nice coins found on a recent trip to WV.  


Two Buffalo Nickle Finds.

The one on the left looks like a 1928.  I can't tell the date of the other.


Same Two Buffalo Nickles.

You can see a mint S mint mark on the one on the right.  It is below and between the E and C.

Next are two half dollars.

A 1942 and 1943 Half Dollar.

As you can see, the one on the left has more corrosion.

In good condition, those would be worth about 9$.

Same Two Half Dollar Coins.

If you look closely, you can see the small D mint mark on the 42 (left).

In melt value, they are worth about $7, and maybe $13 as collector coins in good to very good condition.  The 42 isn't that good.

1926 D Peace Dollar.

None of these coins are in great conditions, but were fun to find anyway.

I've found very few Peace or Morgan dollars over the years.  Most were part of a cache.


1926 D Peace Dollar.

This one isn't pretty.  A 1926 D Peace Dollar would be worth something like $23 in just good condition.  More like $100 in uncirculated condition.

Those are some pretty big coins.  Surprisingly on that outing, no smaller coins were detected.  

---

Last night I realized that cursive writing has nearly disappeared from our culture.  When is the last time you wrote anything freehand except an unrecognizable electronic signature, or name or number on a piece of paper?  I'll bet it was minimal.  

Cursive provides several often-unacknowledged benefits that will be lost.  At least one of which is important to the historical researcher.

When you learned cursive, your fine motor control and hand-eye coordination was exercised and developed.  Cursive provides a form of personal expression, and in the signature, a form of personal identification.  It can be artistic, as in calligraphy. And familiarity with cursive helps in reading handwritten historical documents, which will assist you when doing research. 

In losing cursive, we are losing some of our individuality, and likely also some of our ability to think as individuals, while producing a generation that will mature with arthritic thumbs.

I think pencil and paper facilitates creativity much more than the mechanical regimented digital media.  Pencil and paper is multidimensional and free form and permits drawings and sketches.

Pay attention to your dreams and what they are telling you.  You can learn to get more from them.

Last night, for example, I dreamt I was in a London (although it didn't look at all like London) and a lady was writing something for me (I think maybe directions.), and I couldn't read any of it except for a few letters and the numbers.  I remarked to her that it was strange that I couldn't read what she was writing even though she was English and I speak English.  When I awoke and thought about it, that is when I realize how cursive has almost disappeared as a form of expression.

---


Odd, given that record numbers voted for Obiden.

---

No new storms developing, and no big changes in the surf predictions.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net