Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2026

7/19/26 Report - Tropical Storm Developing. Clump Busted. Bottle Finds. Reservation Only Beaches.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Crushed Mystery Clump.

I showed you thee metal detected clump shown below before.  I detected it with a metal detector and put it aside for a few years.  Not too long ago I decided to see what was in it so I first tried vinegar but that wasn't strong enough to help much.  I set it aside again for a while until I finally decided to crush it.  You see the results above.

Percussive methods are dangerous, so I usually prefer other methods. Slowly increasing pressure in a vice or even pliers will crack conglomerates in a more controlled and safer way. 

This was a very hard conglomerate but I finally got it crushed - carefully, removing one small bit after another. I started on the opposite end of where I thought the metal was and inspected all the newly exposed surfaces.  I saw one very tiny vert or some sort but didn't bother any more with it.

After crushing the clump down  to the level shown above (I did it in a box so I wouldn't lose anything), the results were not exciting.  Just one small somewhat rounded piece of very mangled metal.  Looks like maybe it was a small shot.  I'm not sure.  In this case, there wasn't a lot more to it than what was exposed on the surface of the original clump.


Clump Showing Bit of Exposed Metal.

You never know, but there wasn't much more to this case.

---

On a recent trip to WV, I found a couple nice dairy bottles.  Both were from the Lantz Dairy and are in great shape.  I think they spent most of their time buried in mud next to a spring that got washed out after a downpour.

The smaller one below is more ornate than the larger one.  I'd guess they'd both date to anywhere from the 1930s to 1950, but I'm sure I could narrow that down with a little more research.  I think the half pint bottle is the oldest because of the type of closure.



Below is the larger bottle.



Here is the bottom of that one.


It has the Thatcher Manufacturing Company mark to the left of the L.  The Thatcher marks are well documented and can be date pretty well whenever I get around to researching that.

Nice embossed bottles in very nice condition.  I'll do some mroe research on those and post what I learn in the tgbottlebarn.blogspot.com site.

The bottom of the smaller one appears to have only an O in a circle.  That mark is very faint.

---


Italy's most famous beaches are becoming reservation-only destinations, leaving travelers to debate whether a day at the beach should require weeks of planning.

Several of the country's most popular beaches now require visitors to reserve entry before arriving, with QR codes, daily visitor caps and admission fees replacing the traditional first-come, first-served approach, according to Fodor's Travel Guide...

Here is the link for the rest of that article.

Famous beach now requires visitors to reserve spots weeks ahead and pay fees

That could be a trend.  With high population concentrations around desirable beaches, like with the beaches in front of some resorts or wealthy areas, there might be more restricted access to beaches.  

Restricted beach access is nothing new, but it could be an increasing trend in the future.  

---



Here are the NHC maps showing a little tropical development in the Gulf.



The surf is still basically flat.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net