Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2026

7/31/26 Report - Amazing Very Early Shipwreck Silver and Gold Coins Found by One Dedicated and Successful Beach Detectorist Over a Period of Years.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Beach Metal Detecting Finds by Peter Hughes.


Beach in Wales.


My 7/12/26 post featured a great collection of beach metal detecting shipwreck finds found by Peter Hughes over a period of twenty years of beach detecting. The Ann Francis was a16th century ship that was coming from Spain. Peter's finds from the wreck included a large number of early silver and gold coins from Spain, the Spanish colonies and other countries along with other amazing artifacts that were displayed in a maritime museum.  Here is the link to the 7/12 post.

Treasure Beaches Report: Pt. 2. (2020 and Beyond). : 7/12/26 Report - Most Amazing Early Shipwreck Beach Finds Made by Long-Time Detectorist and Reader of This Blog..

I asked Peter if he would share some additional find photos, and he was kind enough to send some great photos of great finds along with all the details. Each example is a super find in its own right and will get your hunting juices going.  

Here is what Peter said about them.  

I have tried to give a flavour of the major coin types, along with some beach photos taken on the day. 

Whenever I need motivation, I review my photo albums, and it spurs me on!!

The Spanish reales of Ferdinand & Isabella are the forerunners of the famous cobs produced later in the 16th century, and the Double Excellente is said to be the forerunner of the famous  Doubloons of the later period.

I will send more photos in future.

Thanks much for sharing Peter. 

 I'll start by showing one group of Peters coin finds and get into some individual examples with details below that.

The first coin example that I'll show today from Peter's finds is the following mid-16th century 1000 REIS.  I've only seen a few examples of those in books.  Here are both sides followed by the details.


 SAO VICENTE  1000 REIS ; John lll of Portugal  ; Decreed  1555 produced to 1560 ;

Obverse ;    IOANNES lll REX :PORTV: ET : AL (John lll king of Portugal and the  Algarve).

Reverse ;  ZELATOR :FIDEI:VSQVEAD MORTEM: (Defender of the faith to death).                                   Sao Vicente Weight = 7.6g ;  Diameter =  31 mm   ; Friedberg -31; Gomes 181.01 (12)



Imagine seeing that in your scoop and then finding out the date being in the range of 1555 to 1560. 

Here is the second of Peter's collection that I'll share with you today.



Spain Ferdinand & Isabella 1479-1504; 4 reales, SEVILLE , S - llll , C.C&T  179 (type 152) assayer  P in the form of a square.

Most single most prolific coin found ; 86% of all the  F&I 4R , 50% of all the silver from Spain;  42% of all the identified  silver coin finds from Spain & Spanish America.


That one is even older.  And it is another beautiful example.

Here is another.

Spanish American; Mexico city       1536 -38; 4 reales, Gothic m with dots above and below on either side of shield.  KAROLVS ET IOHANA

Reverse; assayer R, round banner PLVSVT between two pillars 4 above; HISPANIE ET 


That one is a similar type to some of the earlies Mexico minted coins found on the Treasure Coast.  Amazing condition and detail on that coin.


Below is number four for today.


Double Excellente; Ferdinand & Isabella from 1497 ;  C.C&T 57 (TYPE 54)

Obverse ; FERNANDVS:ET :ELIZABET:DEI :GRATIA: REX:ET:REGINA  (abbreviated forms)

Reverse : SVB:VNM:BRA:ALARVN:TVARVM:PROTÉGÉ   ( abbreviated forms)  ,the Latin for the inscription “in the shadow of the wings take us under your protection” On the bottom of the shield was included the pomegranate symbolising the conquest of Granada in 1492 .



I (TG) believe the wings could have something to do with reference to Psalm 91:4: "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and rampart"  

The tallit (Jewish prayer shawl) has four corners also referred to as "wings."  Protective wings are a basic symbol with deep roots in human cognition and religion and the significance could continue long after the original reference is not made.

Again, simply beautiful coin.  It could well have been used by royalty to suggest protection and authority of the royal family or government.  (just speculation on my part).


Here is coin five for today.


Mexico city, Three reales; 1536 -37 ,  M with dots above and below either side of the shield .

Reverse , oval banner  PLVSVT between pillars, gothic R below , three dots value above.

C.C&T 104(Type 64)  extremely rare. Wt  =9.96 g, d= 31mm



That is another early Mexico mint pillar style coin.  Again, look at how crisp that coin is.

Thanks to Peter for taking the time to share some additional photos of really great coins. 

Great example of what a dedicated beach detectorist can do.

---

On the Treasure Coast we've been getting some afternoon and evening showers or storms.  Be careful of the lightning.

There is still a near flat surf and no tropical development to watch.


I was late in getting this post done because I had to get a new computer and I haven't figured out how to do some things I used a lot on my old detector.  It took me way too long to learn how to do some simple things that I use a lot.

Hopefully, I'll get it figured out before long.   Some of this stuff is intuitive if you left hand is on your right and your head is on upside down, but otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net
7/31