Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

7/29/26 Report - Two High Profile Rings Returned Among the Top Trending Old TBR stories. Pot of Gold In Ancient Literature.

 



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

James Clooney's 1943 Maine Maritime Academy Ring 
Found by Dan C. in Saipan and Returned to Surviving Family Members.


I look at my old blog site occasionally to see what people are looking at.  That blog site contains post that were posted begore 2020, so the posts are at least six years old and some are well over fifteen years old.  In some cases. they are good posts that contain very good information.  Since I post nearly every day, some very good stuff gets quickly buried and forgotten, but they still get views.  In fact, that site, according to the blogger statistics, gets tens of thousand, and very often tens of thousands of views.

I noticed that there were a couple posts that have recently been getting a lot of attention, so I looked at them to see what they were about and what seemed to be drawing so much attention.  I am interested in finding out what is trending now.

I looked at a couple posts that were suddenly getting a lot of attention.  The top one was a detailed personal account written by Dan C. and emailed to me.  It is about a WWII ring he found twenty years before being able to track down the owner and returning it to the surviving family.  It was posted  8 years ago but evidently has been rediscovered - and with good reason.

I decided to post it again for those of you who might have missed it or forgotten about it or maybe never saw it 8 years ago.  It is too good to miss.

Below is Dan's personal account as he submitted to the Treasure Beaches Report.


Your article on returning lost items was a good read and reminded me of my “best” find returned, but it took 20 years to locate the owner:

I located a class ring from Maine Maritime Academy, Class of 1943, with the owners name inscribed inside the band.  (See photo above.).

The ring was found at the island of Saipan where one of the most massive WWII battles was fought. The 10k gold cleaned up OK, but the synthetic Onyx dye had leached out of the stone after 51 years or so underwater.
I re-dyed it with a black sharpie pen.

That was in 1996. In 1997 I got my first computer and one of the first things I did was look up Maine Maritime Academy and found that it was still in operation. The academy trained merchant marines and prospective Naval officers during WWII, so my thought was the ring was lost by a Navy officer during the war. I was excited to get it back to its owner or surviving kin. I emailed the academy looking for information on the gentleman whose name was inscribed on the ring, telling the story of how it was found.

I never got a reply back. I put the ring away in a small box of mystery items and other finds and forgot about it for years. Then in 2016 on a whim I decided to rekindle my search. By this time the internet had matured and I was able to find some MMA yearbooks posted online, and sure enough, there was Mr Cooney’s photo. Now I had his full name. From there I searched the internet using his name and found his obituary – he had died in about 2006- but it listed his surviving kin. From there I learned from further searches that his younger son had also died but that he had another who was a doctor in New York. Knowing the doctors name led me to a website for a hospital where he was the head of surgery, and the one thing I needed - his office telephone number. I called and spoke with a secretary and pleaded for her to listen carefully, to not hang up on me, as I was not crazy. I asked her to please tell Dr Cooney that I had found his fathers ring which had been lost at Saipan, proving the validity by naming MMA class of 43 and his fathers full name.

An hour later she dialed me back and said the doctor would speak to me. I spoke to him excitedly telling him the whole story. He told me that his father never spoke of his WWII experience, but only that he was an officer on a ship during the war in the Pacific theater. He had made his sons swear to him never to enlist in the military. His widow was in assisted living at that time, so the plan was for her to be presented with the ring during her Christmas visit with the family. The letter below was sent via email to Dr Cooney shortly after our phone call, and the ring was sent to him a few days later along with an aerial view with the exact spot where the ring was found marked on the map. I later received a card and a small box of edibles as a thank you but never heard how their reunion went. I suppose that in many ways it’s none of my business.


“ DR Cooney,

It was great talking to you today !
This brings closure to something that started 19 or 20 years ago. 
As I mentioned, shortly after finding the ring, I had contacted Maine Maritime Academy seeking their assistance in locating your dad. I received no reply from them. Recently I decided to rekindle the search and after some time scouring the internet, here we are.

The ring was found about 200 feet offshore of the present day Hyatt Regency Hotel at Saipan.
Of course, the hotel was not there in 1944 and 45 when the USN was using the island as a staging area for further attacks on Japanese held islands.

The town of Garapan and nearby Tanapag harbor at that time were bustling with activity with warehouses being built, floating docks for offloading the battle supplies, a field hospital for the injured, ships being repaired out in the harbor anchorage, and Navy and Marine forces getting a little rest between deployments on Saipan's beaches.
The ring was found in about 1996 shortly after a typhoon moved some sand out of the area, exposing the long buried ring.

It was in about 4 feet of water, and probably under 2 feet of sand before the typhoon.
I found it with my submersible metal detector which I still own although it is undergoing repairs at this time.
As I recall, the ring was under about 10 inches of sand and coral debris.
My hobby at that time was finding lost jewelry from the Japanese tourists that now frequent Saipan.
So, by my estimation, the ring was buried in the sea bed for 51 years.
Your fathers name is as clear as the day it was engraved inside the ring.

He could have been part of USN Task Force 58, which was responsible for the capture of Saipan in June of 1944.
It would be great to learn which ship he was on.

But Saipan was also used as a staging area for the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, as far as I know.
So there may have been another Naval Task Force there after the initial capture of the island.

I will be sending a map and a detailed statement similar to this one in the upcoming days, and wish that the ring will be in your hands by Christmas, and that your mother will be in a lucid state to receive same.

You will hear from me soon !
It has been an honor speaking with you,"

---

That is a great story and deserves the attention it is getting after an additional eight years.

It is one thing to rescue an item like that and wonder who lost it and under what circumstances, but it takes it to another level entirely when you learn more about the owner and can return an item to those to whom it means the most.  It is very fortunate when an item is so clearly marked with a name or other identifying information.

That is the kind of story we all hope to create in real life.  I know that many of you have done something similar and I've posted some others.  A somewhat similar post that got a lot of attention in the past in the Treasure Beaches Repot was about the Fairleigh Dickinson Jr. ring found in the Jacksonville area by Chris N.


Ring Showing "Fairleigh Dickinson Jr." Insciption
Find and photo by Chris N.

Here is how Chris described that.

I found this ring belonging to Fairleigh S Dickinson Jr of New Jersey. He was an avid fisherman, adventurer, businessmen, New Jersey Senator, and instrumental in laying out the plans for the Meadowland Complex along the Hackensack River in East Rutherford New Jersey. Also note His father was Farleigh Dickinson Sr. who help start Becton Dickinson Medical formally in that area as well as the University in Rutherford, NJ.  He attended the New York Military Academy in Cornwall,New York, and the Ring was dated 1937. .And was in the United State Coast Guard in the 1940's.

With help of the Police departments in New Jersey and a little research, we were able to get the ring back to the family, who were astonished that we went through all this trouble to get it back to them. They were surprised and happy that Metal Detector Enthusiast do their best to try and return items. "That's what we do"

He passed away in 1996, and I was informed that they had no idea the ring would ever be found. We can assume that "Hurricane Irma and the Nor'easter shortly between each other exposed the original hard pack in which we were able to pick it up on the Metal Detectors September 25, 2017. {Using a Garrett AT Pro, and Mine Lab Sovereigns  GT}

Extensive erosion inundated the Northern Florida coast where ring was found. 
Amongst other items found were old coins dated 1895, modern clad, other Jewelry Items, Copper Sheeting, Ballast Rocks, but no Spanish Coins!!! Yet?


Congratulations and thanks to Chris N. for sharing.  Amazing find and great act of kindness.

---.


Finding a pot of gold seems to be a core part of the human psyche.  It is a core theme in human thought literature documented in history to ancient times. 

Plautus’ Aulularia is a Roman comedy (circa 195 BCE) about the miserly Euclio, his obsession with a hidden pot of gold.  A crass fellow buries a valuable hoard beneath his hearth. He entrusts the hoard to the household god, who relates to the audience:

He prayed that I would guard the pot of gold for him. When he died, being of such an avaricious nature, he never disclosed the hoard to his own son, preferring to leave the boy poor than to show him the coins. . . . The son was even less attentive to me, so I let him die clueless and destitute. His heir turned out to be just like the father and grandfather, but he has an only daughter who is mindful of me. Out of regard for her, I have allowed her father to find the hoard, in order that he might more readily provide her a dowry.

Here is the link to the entire play.

Plautus vol I

---

Still no change in the tropical weather forecasts for the week, and the surf remains small.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net