Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.
The clump shown above is actually a cache of coins stuck together by corrosion. It was discovered by two detectorists. It looks like it was deep but would give off a good signal. The prior with dirt and coins weighed over a ton. The clump was removed and each coin separated. Over 69,000 coins was in the clump and each coin was removed one at a time.
 |
Same Clump of Coins with Dirt Removed.
|
Above is the clump after most of the dirt was removed, but before the clump was disassembled.
Here is the link for the rest of the article.
Digs & Discoveries - Ka-Ching! - Archaeology Magazine - July/August 2017
The article provides some interesting notes on how the coins were cleaned.
------------
 |
| Gold Celtic Rainbow Cup Coins. |
These coins, referred to as rainbow cups, were found by a detectorist.
They are actually Celtic coins but received the name of "rainbow cup" coins in the 19th century.
The lore around rainbow cups is that they fell from the sky, and as such were considered to be lucky charms and healing objects. They date to between 125 and 30 BC.
These are concave and bear no other marks, but I've seen some online that do appear to have markings.
Here is the link for an article about rainbow cup coins.
You'll find other articles on rainbow cup coins found by detectorists.
---
Several days ago, I posted an article from the Colonial Newsletter. Last night I found that they are making changes. The Colonial Newsletter ceased publication. The new journal will be the Journal of Early American Numismatics, which is not free like the Colonial Newsletter was so unless you are willing to pay for a subscription or can find it through a student or library subscription, you just lost a good resource. Hopefully the old newsletter issues will remain available online for a while.
Here is a link to the article about the Newsletter's passing.
‘The Colonial Newsletter’ ceasing publication, to be reborn as new journal
And the next link will take you to a list of articles in the now deceased Colonial Newsletter. You might want to access any articles of interest before they all disappear.
C4N-Index-Author-Winter-2025.pdf
---
Yesterday I introduced what I called a "local viewing." I could have written a lot more about engaging with coins in that way but decided it was something that I'd leave to those who are interested to investigate farther for themselves, but I also recommend meditating on detecting sites. If you are the type of person to try it, and are willing to really chance it a chance, you might be surprised by the results.
The human brain is naturally wired to search for danger. It is also wired to validate existing beliefs. That creates predictable loops, which is something detectorists as well as the general public has to deal with. At times, you will want to break those loops and habits.
The brain registers and dwells on negative stimuli much faster than positive ones.
Habitual negative thinking physically carves out pathways in your brain over time.
You cannot easily erase an old mental habit, but you can consciously choose to replace it.
That is something else I'll leave for those of you who are interested to investigate on your own.
---
 |
| Source: nhc.noaa.gov. |
So Cristobal has moved far away from the U.S., while two other areas of possible development head in our direction. Those areas are not expected at this time to affect the continental U.S. I checked the ECMWF projections on windyty.com.
Below is Wabasso Thursday morning. Very quiet.
 |
| Wabasso Thursday Morning from the Wabasso Live Beach Cam. |
The surf predictions show 0 - 1 foot all week.
The high tides are over three feet and the low tide will be slightly negative.
Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net