Armchair treasure hunters enjoy decoding coded messages, especially those that might provide clues to hidden treasures. I don't know if it is that popular anymore. I don't think it is.
One of famous cipher was in the Edgar Allen Poe story, the Gold-Bug. The Gold‑Bug is about a fellow that discovered a hidden cipher on a scrap of parchment that provided clues to locate Captain Kidd’s buried treasure. The solved cipher gave step‑by‑step directions to the exact spot of the treasure.
The cipher, like the one above, was a simple substitution cipher. The fellow used his knowledge of language to solve the cipher. The process he used to solver the cipher is very instructive for anyone learning to decode those kinds of ciphers. It started with the fact that the most common letter in the English language is e, so after counting the number of symbols in the cipher, you would have a start. The next thing to help solve the cipher was the most common English words, one of which is "the."
If you are interested, reading the story, which I'm sure you can easily find online, might be both instructive and entertaining.
Frank Hudson also provided a list in one of his books.
Solving ciphers is good practice for general problem solving.
We decode things all the time. Take, for example, when we look at an old Spanish coin and try to interpret the abbreviated legend. It is really a pretty similar type of decoding.
Even when we go to the beach, we try to interpret what we see as it applies to our interests. We look at the signs we see and interpret them. We look at the wind, waves, and shape of the beach, the cuts and shells and many other things, which you can imagine as a language of it's own.
I asked a couple AI agents to solve the above cipher and I didn't get the answer. Chatgpt worked on it a good while. Maybe if I had the more advanced version, it would have come up with the answer eventually.
I did find one great web site that decodes many types of codes. It even included things like the Klingon language, Egyptian hieroglyphics, Sumerian, braille, etc. etc., but not the language of the cross. There were many pages of apps for simple symbol substitution ciphers, not counting numerous other types of codes. Really impressive! You should take a look.
Let me know if you can solve it. I've given the task to a few AI assistants and they have not managed so far, but I haven't tried the more advanced versions. I was curious to see if they could, or would, do the job.
I also highly recommend reading the Gold-Bug. It a good treasure hunting story that is both informative and entertaining. There are many possible benefits to reading it.
---
Remote Viewing Mining Operations on the Dark Side of the Moon.
The few posts I did in the past that talked about remote viewing were popular well beyond my expectations. Since that seemed to be such a popular topic, I thought you might also be interested in the story of Ingo Swann, who was by some accounts one of the most successful remote viewers for the CIA. He was involved in Project Stargate, a project in which he reported viewing alien manufacturing and mining facilities on the moon. He reportedly saw buildings and vehicles working on the moon. He said they were not friendly.
Here is an excerpt from a recent article on that subject.
“They have told us to stay away… They are not friendly, are they?” This phrase, reported to be spoken by an anonymous U.S. official in a scenario involving remote viewer Ingo Swann, has become the kind of quote that goes further than any document number could particularly when the reported location is the Moon’s dark side, a region that is perpetually hiding from Earth’s observation.
It’s no wonder the phenomenon has endured. Between 1977 and 1995, a program dubbed Project Stargate attempted to harness the power of ‘remote viewing’ as if it were merely another arm of statecraft, as if the government’s commitment to satellites and signals intelligence would naturally include the study of mental perception at a distance. The images of the moon, the towers, the domes, the machines, and the sense of being watched, all of it is right at home in our contemporary fascination with secret agendas and concealed truths...
Here is a link if you want to read more about that.
CIA’s Remote-Viewing Files Expose a Hard Limit on “Moon Warnings” | Modern Engineering Marvels
If you were very imaginative, you might wonder at least momentarily if that is the reason we didn't go back to the moon so many years after the moon landings. I doubt it, but.... It was kept very secretive.
---
 |
| Source: nhc.noaa.gov. |
Tropical Storm Dolly disappeared, but there is still some disorganized moisture heading our way.
There is also some activity in the Gulf.
No change in beach conditions.
Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net