Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

7/22/20 Report - Around the Treasure Coast: Beaches Conditions and Metal Detecting. Reader Comments. Immokalee Florida Article.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Turtle Trail Tuesday A Little After Noon Tuesday.
Photo by DJ.



Turtle Trail Tuesday.
Photo by DJ.

Above are a couple of photos from Turtle Trail taken Tuesday a little after noon.  Compare those with the following photo of John Brooks taken Tuesday just a little later.

John Brooks Beach Tuesday Afternoon.


Both beaches have a lot of seaweed, and a small cut and similar slope.

At John Brooks the cut was smaller and the first step had moved back towards the dunes since I was there Saturday.

I saw one fellow detecting the flat above the first step when I stopped at Brooks.  I think he sent the following photo and email.

John Brooks Tuesday
Photo by Frank B.


Good evening! I came across your website a couple of weeks ago as I was planning a visit to the Florida treasure coast area to do some detecting. I wish I would have discovered your website years ago! I have learned so much about the treasure coast and the 1715 Fleet wrecks from your information. Based on your last couple of entries I visited John Brooks Beach today (Tuesday). My wife, Lili, used my Equinox while I used my CZ-21. Neither of us had much luck, however, the cut that was apparent in your photo on Saturday has seriously deteriorated already. I found 2 pennies, some sort of MLB token that is vaguely yellow (and really got my heart pumping for about 10 seconds!), and many fishing sinkers and bits of aluminum. I have attached a photo of John Brooks Beach as of 5 hours ago (see attached).

Although I am American from the Chicago area, I usually detect in Latin America (Panama and Colombia specifically) and have had some success finding cobs and even some gold in those countries. It's not nearly as easy to find lost colonial Spanish treasure in the U.S., though.

Thanks again for the great information on your website and I look forward to your future entries!

Kind regards,


Thanks for sharing Frank.

I noticed the red car with out-of-state license and saw someone detecting around where you are shown in the photo.

---

Tim M. said, I appreciate the continuing posts about fossils. Very interesting and educational. I am now much more aware of their presence and actively search them out.


Thanks Tim.  That was my intent.  Fossils will be some of the oldest treasures you can find and can also be worth money.  Like other types of treasure, rarity and condition help determine value.  And like other types of Treasure, sometimes you can find them and sometimes not.

They can be found all along the Treasure Coast but some spots are better than others.  I've mentioned some of the better spots before.


----

Here is an article from the New York times focused on a little known area of Florida - Immokalee.  


I was surprised the Times would do an article on Immokalee, but the article explains the vulnerability of migrant workers, how the virus spreads and some of the statistics you are seeing.

---


Tropical Storm Seven
Source: nhc.noaa.gov

We have one system in the Gulf that could develop.  It looks like it will go towards Texas.  It is causing our southerly winds.

Below is the cone for Seven.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov



Keep watching Seven.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net