Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

12/29/21 Report - Another Mounted Gold Coin. A New Mystery Item. Finding Valuable Bills In Circulation.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Gold 1/10th Oz. American Eagle Mounted In A Pendant.

Yesterday I showed a 1945 two-peso Mexican coin mounted in a pendant.  The two-peso coins seem to be among the most common coins used in jewelry, but there are plenty of others.

It is always nice to find a gold coin, and as I've said b efore, hunting modern jewelry is one of the easiest ways to find a gold coin.  Here is a 1/10th oz. American gold eagle coin.  American gold eagles are also fairly common in jewelry.  This is a small denomination at one tenth of an oz.

Other Side of Same American Gold Eagle Coin.

 
It wasn't easy to find the mark on the pendant, but below you can see that it is marked inside the bail.


14k Inside Bail.

---

You don't always need a metal detector to find metal.  I haven't done a lot of searching over the holidays, but I decided to take a walk along the river Tuesday.  

The water was flat, and the visibility was good except in a few spots.  Good visibility is almost as good as a big low tide for eye-balling.

Conditions were good for mudlarking.  The river has been very calm lately and old eroded areas that might expose things were scarce.  I decided to just take a walk and enjoy the quiet of nature.  I might describe it as meditative detecting.  

Eventually I did find a couple areas that were scattered with broken glass and junk.  I did see a few older bottles, but nothing worth keeping.  If I was like some of the characters I"ve seen on Youtube or Oak Island, I would have breathlessly drooled, made some outlandish claims and asked questions like "Could this piece of glass been formed by sand made eons ago."  

Before coming to one of those more promising spots, I spotted the arm of an antique porcelain doll.  I was glad to see it.   I've had a number of those before, and antique doll collectors are always glad to have them.  Unfortunately, this one had a broken hand and is worthless.


Couple Sight Finds.

Later, in one of those spots where a lot of junk was visible, I spotted a sparkly small object.  The sun made the wet object sparkle as if it was covered by glitter.  I couldn't capture that in the photo.

The little metal tube (shown above) with a removable top or bottom appears to be a cosmetic container of some sort.  I found the marks shown below on that object.  I cannot completely read it.  The beginning and end might be PARK  FORD.  It looks mid-century to me.

Two Views of Markings on The Found Metal Tube With Top.


I haven't found any helpful information on it yet and would like some help. It looks something like a lipstick case, but it is smaller than any I've seen. What do you think it says?

---

I enjoy looking for interesting serial numbers on my paper money.  I seldom find much good, but occasionally find something that might be worth a few dollars to a collector.  Some of you will enjoy using a web site I use to check the coolness rating of the numbers.  Coolness does not perfectly correlate with value although there is some relationship.

Here is an example rating for the serial number 93428888, which I found on one bill.  I figured it would have some coolness because of the four eights on the end of the number.



Not bad, but not real valuable either.  As I said, coolness doesn't perfectly correlate with value although there is some relationship.  
  
As you see, although the quad number is the main thing that contributes to the rating of this serial number, it is not the only thing.  The total of the eight digits adds up to a less than 50, which is a little unusual.  A quad is more unusual than the low total of the numbers.

Here is the link if you want to check out some of your own serial numbers.


---

No change in Treasure Coast beach conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net