Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

12/21/21 Report - More Tests on Detecting Thin Gold Chains. Conductivity Numbers On A Lot of Different Objects.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Four 14K Chains and One 14K GP.


Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to do some tests with thin gold chains.  I did a little of that yesterday using the five chains shown above.  The first four are marked 14K and the last one is marked 14K GP (gold plated).  From additional observations, I'd say those markings are correct.

Here is a closer view of four of those plus another beach find.  Number four from the top photo is left out of the picture below for no particular reason other than sloppiness on my part.  And top chain in the photo below is another `14K beach find.

Five Chains.  (Units on Left are 1/32 inch.)

The units shown on the left side of this photo are 1/32 inch.

I only did a quick check with an Equinox 600 in the first mode (park).  I reduced the sensitivity down to 18 because of electrical interference in the area.  You normally don't have to do that on the beach, so you will probably get slightly better signals in many cases.

I stretched each of the chains out straight and first swept across the narrow width of each chain.

The chain on the left of the top photo, (with the larger rectangular links) produced conductance numbers of two to four.  The second chain (with the coin) produced a twelve consistently, but that had more to do with the pendant and coin rather than the chain.  The third and fourth chains (top photo) were not detected reliably with the chains stretched out and sweeping across the width of the chains.  And the fifth chain (gold plated) produced a signal very similar to the chain with the coin.

If the coil was swept the other way (from one end of the chain to the other end), chains one and five sounded like you'd expect a long thin object to sound 

See The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 5/30/11 Report - Memorial Day Issue - Signal Nulling & Glass Detective Work for more about signals produced by long thin objects.

You might get better signals on the beach than I got in my test.  Nonetheless, other than the one with the coin and the plated one, they could very well be missed.  Thin gold chains can easily be missed.  I remember commenting that I was following two very good detectorists with good detectors when I found the top chain in the second photo.

If chains are balled up rather than stretched out, they can produce a louder signal than when stretched out.  Of course, a large pendant or hook will often cause a better signal.

Chains can be very difficult to get in your scoop if you are detecting in the water.  I've talked about that before too.  If you don't get all the chain in the scoop, the part hanging out can pull the chain out as you lift the scoop - in some cases over and over again. 

---

While on the subject, DJ sent me a link to a YouTube video showing a guy that got conductivity numbers for a Larve variety of objects.  Here is a clip from his video.  You can see the variety of objects tested.

Conductivity Numbers for Objects Tested with Equinox Air Test.
Source: See link below.

The Minelab Equinox Target ID Bible: Everything You Need To Know - YouTube

There are a few comments that I'd add.  In his video of the air tests, it appeared the objects were being moved back and forth in a direction perpendicular to the way the coil would move over the object when you are swinging in the field. That will make a difference, as will other factors, such as depth and orientation of objects, both round and irregular.

His overall summary is - dig everything.

It appeared that both good and junk objects produced almost every conductivity number.  That isn't new advice and I've seen previous videos that showed the same thing and came to the same conclusion.  I remember showing in one post a test on gold rings that showed them producng a wide variety of conductivity numbers.

---

We're having strong winds from the SW today.  Seems like that happens every year around this time.  

I've heard of some good finds, but haven't had a chance to verify or get details.

I haven't had a chance to get out much lately.  My mother has been having medical issues and I made an airport shuttle trip today and some other things, so I just haven't had a chance to get out lately.  Hope to soon.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net