Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2021

12/26/21 Report - Mystery Item Solved. Another Lapel Pin Find. A Gold Cross Find. Finds Become Gifts.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure  Beaches Report.


Veterans of Foreign Wars Lapel Pin.


Sometimes things that I intend to post never get posted.  Sometimes I have other things I want to post on a particular day and put an item off for another time.  Sometimes an item might need some cleaning or I need to take a better photo, so I put it off.  And sometimes I'll forget, and an item gets lost in the shuffle.

At the end of the year, I tend to look back, and then I find some incomplete posts or items that were skipped or forgotten.  Here is one that goes nicely with the mystery item I posted yesterday.  (I'll have more on the mystery item below.)

The item shown above is a Veterans of Foreign Wars Of The US lapel pin.  I think most people know of the VFW.

Here is the history on it as presented in Wikipeida.

The VFW resulted from the amalgamation of several societies formed immediately following the Spanish-American War In 1899, little groups of veterans returning from campaigning in Cuba and the Philippian Islands, founded local societies upon a spirit of comradeship known only to those who faced the dangers of that war side by side. Similar experiences and a common language drew them together.  The American Veterans of Foreign Service (predecessor to the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States) was established in Columbus, Ohio, September 29, 1899, by Spanish‑American War veteran James C. Putnam.  The Colorado Society, Army of the Philippines, was organized in Denver, Colorado, on December 12, 1899. Shortly thereafter, a society known as the Foreign Service Veterans was born in Pennsylvania.  These three veterans' organizations grew up side by side, increasing in scope and membership until August 1913, when at an encampment held at Denver, they merged their interests and identities in a national organization now known as the VFW.

And here is the back of the pin.


 Back Of Same VFW Pin
Showing Gold-Filled Mark.


Now to yesterday's mystery item.  It is an Honorable Servie Lapel Button, often referred to as the ruptured duck.

It seems I was the only one that didn't recognize the mystery item.  I received a lot of replies on that one, and all of them are correct.  Even my wife, who is now up north. read the blog and called me to tell me what it is.  

I was surprised so many people were reading the blog on Christmas day.  

Now I'm pretty sure I posted a ruptured duck pin before and forgot about it.  It could have been years ago.  I've been doing this over a decade now and forget some of the things that were posted in the past.  

Here is the wikipedia description.

The Honorable Service Lapel Button, sometimes called the Honorable Service Lapel Pin, was awarded to United States military service members who were discharged under honorable conditions during Wolrd War II..  The award is sometimes colloquially called the Ruptured Duck.  Sculptor Anthoney de Francisi designed the award.

The Department of Defense awarded the button between September 1939 and December 1946, and it was made of gilt brass, except during metal shortages during which it was made of gilt plastic. Service members who received the plastic version were later allowed to trade it in for the brass version.

Looks like I need to double check the acid test.

---

Here is one more item that got skipped over in the past.  It needs some cleaning and I didn't look at it good at the time.  I still didn't get around to cleaning it, but I did take another look at it.  


Cross Pendant With Clear Stones.

Maybe you can see that it appears to have some melted red wax or something on it.  It looks pretty cruddy, so I was surprised when I saw the marking.


Close-up View of the Back of the Same Cross.

It is marked 14K twice.  That surprised me.  Now I'll have to verify that and see what the stones are. 

---

I once did a series of posts on world coins.  You don't expect to dig up a coin from a place like Bora Bora, but it happens from time to time.  A cousin of my wife has a 15 year-old son who is very much into metal detecting.  He lives in West Virginia and doesn't dig many coins from foreign countries. - certainly not like we do in the tourist state of Florida.  So this year we gave him a nice sample of foreign coins that I dug up in the past.  He was delighted.  

You don't see many young people metal detecting. and my poll results from the past show that.  I'm happy to see a young fellow so much into metal detecting and am glad I was able to give the coins to some one that really appreciated them.

===

I did a series of posts on world coins found in Florida and made a list of the countries included.  You can find those posts in treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Here is one post on some of the older foreign coins found in Florida, not including the shipwreck treasure coins.

Here is that link.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 9/2/18 Report - Finding Silver Among World Coins Using a Magnet. Hidden Medieval Doorway Under Castle Found. Tropical Storm Seven.

===

The surf is supposed to be down around one foot for several days.

Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net