Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

4/27/22 Report - Interesting Item Found on Fort Pierce Beach by Metal Detectorist Monday.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Object Dug Yesterday On The Treasure Coast (top center of photo)
Find and photo by Gaylen C.


Gaylen C. made an interesting find Monday. Below is how he described it.

Yesterday morning I was detecting along the bottom of the cut between South Beach Park and the south jetty of Ft Pierce inlet with my new Nokta Legend ( beach mode, C discrimination, wet sand, 25 sensitivity, 7 stability) when I got a very strong 42 signal and started to dig right at the base. Kept digging, about 10-12" and found a fairly large object. As I cleared sand away by hand I found it to be a large round object. Whoopie, I had found a cannon ball. It might be another 1715 find for me on this beach. When I got enough cleared out to lift it I found that I could not. So I stuck my shovel underneath and pried upward. As I did the object  became more exposed and proved to be cylindrical, about 12 or more inches long and 6+/-in diameter, and not round like a cannon ball. I had merely uncovered the rounded end at first. I immediately decided it was an artillery shell, and relatively modern, and called 911. After a while, FPPD officer showed up, took a look and called for help and the bomb squad. Tentatively identified as a 105mm shell, but after several hours when it was removed I found out that the bomb squad identified it as a "drop bomb" detonator, and was "unstable and hazardous". Took about 3 hrs for the bomb squad to move it off the beach, and I was told they were going to take it further south to a more remote section of beach and then detonate it. 

Another View of the Object Dug by Gaylen.


Bomb Squad Removing Recovered Object.


Another View Of the Bomb Being Removed by the Bomb Squad.

Galen added the following thoughts.

I am sure this object was dumped on the beach during the latest nourishment project. Quite likely from either the inlet itself, or further out . In either case ,where it could have been dropped over the water, possibly during practice back in the day. I saw no markings on this piece. I did notice the bomb squad technician poured a bottle of water over it, either to see it more clearly, or further release it from the sand.

That is a good reminder, that you don't always know what you are digging into and it could possibly be something dangerous.

Here is a video of the removal posted on the Fort Pierce Police Department Facebook page.


Thanks Gaylen.  Interesting day at the beach.

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com


It looks like we'll have some bigger surf on Friday, but it won't last long.

Good Hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net