Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2022

4/30/22 Report - Detectorist Finds Pot of Coins. A One-Off Find.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



An amateur treasure hunter in Switzerland has discovered a buried clay pot filled to the brim with 1,290 Roman coins that date to the fourth century A.D.

However, an odd divider found within the pot — a piece of cowhide — has stumped archaeologists.

"It was clearly used as a separation," said Reto Marti, head of the archaeological department of the canton of Basel-Landschaft (informally called Baselland) in northern Switzerland, and who helped to excavate and examine the coin pot. "But why the coins are separated in two parts we cannot tell for the moment."...

Here is the link for more about that.

Pot brimming with Roman coins discovered in Switzerland | Live Science

-----


Two Views of Broken Clay Pipe Found on Treasure Coast.


Some finds stick out in your mind.  It might be because of their value, rarity, age, or condition, but it might be because of something else. This clay pipe sticks out to me simply because it is the only one I've ever found.  Some places they seem to be very common.  You'll see that if you watch the mudlarking videos from the Thames.  But for me, they are rare.   

When you find one, you think you might find another, no matter what it is.   But even though I found this pipe about four years ago, I've not yet another.  At this point, I don't really expect to find another, and if I do, it will be a surprise.

My first Great White shark tooth find took me totally by surprise. In fact, when I bent over, I thought I was seeing a shard of glass. But it was a nice exceptionally nice fossil tooth.  It was my first fossil shark tooth find, and although I've found a lot of other fossil shark teeth, I've not found any more anywhere close to where that one was found.  Still, I always remember when I'm in that area to look for another one, but I've never found another one in that area.  I have found more since that time, but never in that area.

There are several finds that stick out to me because they've been so elusive.  It took me a long time to find the first, and never found any more.  Of course the same thing applies to coins and rings and other metal items too.  It took a long time for me to find my first reale on the Treasure Coast.  I was beginning to think I'd never find one.  That was partly due to the fact that I didn't live there and didn't know the beaches and didn't hunt them very often.

The first 18th century master stoneware ink bottle find took me a long time.  Since then, though, I've found more of them.  And they are no longer such a big deal to me.

---

In George Orwell's novel 1984, the four ministries are: the Ministry of Truth, the Ministry of Peace, the Ministry of Plenty, and the Ministry of Love. The Ministry of Truth controls the media; the Ministry of Peace oversees war; the Ministry of Plenty suppresses the distribution of resources; and the Ministry of Love tortures political dissidents.

I thought 1984 was fiction, but it is turning out to be prophetic.  It is now common practice, to name something in a ways that suggests the opposite of what it actually is.

Good read that I recommend, if you've never read it.

---

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net