Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2021

4/5/21 Report - Old and New Treasure Coast Beach Finds.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Gold Ring Found Years Ago by Bob Chaney.
Photo Submitted by JamminJack.

JamminJack sent me the above photo and following account of an old Treasure Coast find made by Bob Chaney. 

... Bob Chaney was definitely one of the more interesting person I had met while metal detecting the Treasure Coast. We became friends very fast and I detected with him numorous times. He had set backs, but never stopped him from doing what he liked the most. He enjoyed meeting other detectorists and sharing his finds. His wife passed away years ago, and sort of lost contact with him. I know his daughter was taking care of him. I am not sure if he is still with us. Hoping someone can maybe update us. I know Tom and John were very close and we all did a lot of detecting together.

One day we met at Sea Grape and Bob wanted to detect up in the dry area. I worked below near the water. Like me, he could detect all day, and cover a lot of ground. We finally met back at the parking lot. He wanted to show me his finds. I could not believe my eyes when he showed me the ring. He allowed me to take some pictures. I told him because of the color of the gold, style, and shape that it most likely was from one of the wrecks. He found another object which looked to be the same color gold, but I could not determine that day without some cleaning. I believe this was after Fay, but could be wrong. A lot of rings were very small. Some believed that the rings were made for women and children.

Later, he emailed me telling me he showed the ring to Bob Marx and he thought the same thing as I did.


Bob Chaney Showing Gold Ring Beach Find.
Photo submitted by JamminJack.

Below is another item that was found with the ring.  Jack says there have been a lot of theories on that item.


The unidentified item seems to have a dense dark crust similar to my Christ figure.

Jack was hoping that more old timers would share the stories of their past finds.

Thanks Jack.

---

I haven't heard of many finds made last week.  There were more shells than had been there in the recent past, and some non-metallic items were found. The most surprising for me was a piece of an oriental-lookng cup.

Two Matching Pieces of Cup Found Year Or More Apart.
Left piece found first, and recent find shown on right.

I found the larger piece (left above) shown a year or more ago.  I don't know how long ago it was, but know I it must have been at least a year and possibly much more.

I found the second piece (right above) a couple days ago.  I thought I found something similar before, so when I got home went looking for the other piece and surprisingly found it.  Too bad I didn't write down the date of the find.  

Anyhow, the two pieces fit perfectly together.  I need just a little more of the makers mark now.


Two Pieces of Cup Fit Together.

Often glass and porcelain can found with shells.   I found some sea glass, but didn't see any shark teeth.

I switched to looking for modern items and found the snall cameo pendant and gold ear ring shown below.



---

The surf is down to two or three feet now.  The tides are flatter, and the wind is more from the east.

Back to level one conditions again.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


There might be a few leftovers out there yet, as well as new drops from the beach goers.  The beaches are pretty busy.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net