Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2021

4/8/21 Report - Detectorists Find Seals. Equinox Problem Reports. Small Surf Opportunities.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Medieval Gold Seal Found by Detecteorist.
Source: See BBC News link below.


A medieval gold seal which shows an elephant carrying a castle on its back has become only the third of its kind recorded by the British Museum.

A metal detectorist found it in Norfolk in June and it is thought to date from between 1250 and 1350...

Here is the link for more about that.

Norfolk: 'Elephant and castle' gold seal only third found - BBC News

---

Silver Seal Found by Detectorist.
Source: See BBC News link below.


The silver seal matrix, inscribed with the name Margerie Pevrel, was found on her family's land at Hambleden, Bucks, by a metal detectorist.

Archaeologist Anni Byard said the oval-shaped object's discovery in April 2019 was "a very unusual occurrence"...


Here ist that link.

Silver seal find at Hambleden 'gives life' to medieval woman - BBC News

---

There are things to be found everywhere.  There are innumerable objects in the ground to be found.

As I previously reported in this blog, a lot was recently cleared of vegetation near my house.  I spent a few hours detecting the lot and dug up many items.  That was one random lot.  When I drive down the road I think of how every lot must still conceal tons of buried items.  Many of the items tell a story.  Some are not unusual or rare, but some will be.  I'm sure I'll find something better as I continue to cover the lot I am working on.

You might go through phases or stages if you metal detect very long.  When I began, I wondered if I could find any coins.  I soon learned that not only could I find coins, but I could find lots of coins.  Then I discovered that I could also find =rings and other things.  And then I learned to find more valuable rings.  Then I learned that I could find shipwreck items.  I don't know what I left out, but I'm sure you get the point.  Now I'm in a phase when it isn't so much about the items or their value. It is now more about the hunt and finding out what is there.  I don't wonder if there is anything there.  I wonder what is there and how it got there - the story behind it.

Your own situation will determine what interests you most and what you want to find and how you look at it, but there is always something to be found and something to learn from it.

Some items tell you more than others.  The process of putting together the clues and figuring out the story is another fun part of metal detecting.

---

Here is a message from Joe D concerning beach renourishment.

Hello,

   Jupiter inlet is doing the exact same thing as Ft. Pierce right now! The silt is killing some fish, but that seems to be collateral damage that's of no concern! It's not deterring the amount of people on the beach, except maybe detectorists! Not much to find there now! And short of a hurricane, probably never will be again! The dredging appears to be an every year event now!   Joe D.

---

Michael T. thought the toothed mystery piece that I posted a couple days ago looked something like this Sawzall blade.

---

The Minelab Equinox, as much as I like it, seems to be prone to some problems.  Some people are having trouble with the battery not charging or not holding a charge.   There are YouTube videos on changing the factory installed battery.

There is also a supplemental battery pack that you can purchase.  It attaches to the handle and with a normally functioning factory battery gives you twice the battery run time.  I think it might be one way of working around a poorly functioning battery.  The battery pack costs around $50.  Of course you can send it in to Minelab for repairs.

And there are troubles with the stem and coil attachment ears.  I've not had those problems, but they seem too common.  One reader has reported experiencing that problem more than once.

---

The surf is down to one or two feet today.  A small surf presents some opportunities too.  You can sometimes detect farther out, especially when you get a good low tide.  And if the visibility is good, it might be a good time to stick your nose in the water - do a little snorkeling and see what is down there.

You can do eye-balling in the water as well as on land.  You might see a gold chain, sunken dollar bill, nice shells, or whatever.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net