Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

10/19/22 Report - Treasure Hunting on TV. Anclote and Pirate DeAury. Suggestions for Probes. Local Beaches.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks Beach Wednesday Morning.

It was a cloudy and a little cooler this morning, but the surf wasn't very big.  As you can see above, there was mushy and shelly sand on the front beach.


John Brooks Beach Wednesday Morning

There was a little scalloping.  The front of the beach was steepening.


Fort Pierce Jetty South Beach Wednesday Morning.


Not much surf is expected this week.

---

As is often the case, I received an email on Sept. 1 of this year asking me to help identify an item.  I was asked to call the sender. 

I receive emails all the time that I am asked to not share, and I always keep those private.  The most noteworthy of those was the famous 300th anniversary 1715 Fleet find made by Captain Jonah and the Capitana crew back in 2015.  Captain Jonah asked me to not post that until they were ready to unveil the big find to the public, so I sat on it until they had the press conference for the media in Sebastian.  After that I shared the finds on my blog.  (See The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 8/19/15 Report - YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS! New Treasure Finds From The Treasure Coast - Just Released.)

So it isn't unusual for me to keep information private when it is requested, but I prefer to proceed by email and get as much information as I can before I'd ever consider making a phone call.  I just don't do phone calls, although I guess I might if I had first gathered enough information to make sure a phone call would be worthwhile. 

Although the recent initial email was only one sentence long, it did mention Anclote, so there was a good chance that the undisclosed treasure might have something to do with pirate Henry DeAury.   I did a post in this blog on 9/8 that included a fantasy map of Anclote, which I didn't explain in the post, but it was not coincidence.  Then on 9/16 I did a post.on pirate Aury's treasure.  I also had been posting some of Frank Hudson's leads on the Florida West Coast, which included the area of interest.  

So last night while channel surfing, I caught part of an episode of Beyond Oak Island, which happened to be about pirate Aury's treasure, and the person that sent me the email was involved.  Maybe you saw it.

Here web site for some additional history on Anclote.

Rediscovering Anclote's Hidden Treasure - NatureCoaster.com

And here is an excerpt from that web site.

In the 1500’s, the great Spanish explorers, Vasco Da Gama and Alonso Alvarez de Pineda, with their conquistadors, began to survey the Anclote area.

They used a kedge anchoring system to navigate the shallow, winding, channels in order to make land. This anchoring system uses two anchors: one in front and one in back. The forward anchor would be pulled for momentum to reach their destination.

In Spanish, these anchors translate to the word “Anclote”, hence the name Anclote River, Anclote Key, and the Anclote community...


Back to TV program - they located the likely site for the buried pirate treasures, which was in a park.  They got an archaeologist and a permit to investigate and got some metal detector hits and a identified a target that appeared to be below water level and below a palm tree, so they couldn't recover it.  I missed the very end of the program, so I don't know how it ended, but am sure I'll have a chance to see it again.

---

All of that reminds me of something I intended to post sometime, but I kept putting it off and almost forgot about it.  In Frank Hudson's book, Lost Treasures of Florida's West Coast, Hudson covers the topic of probing rods.  Probing rods can be very useful in different situations.  Suppose you are seeking a non-metallic item, hunting an item too deep to detect with a metal detector, or hunting where you can not use a metal detector.  A probing rod can be used in those situations.  Some people use a probe for finding bottles.  I do that in a slightly different way. that I'll have to explain some other time.

In his book, Hudson points out that where one treasure chest was already removed. the spot still gave a metal detector signal.  There are probably a couple reasons for that.  I can certainly detect an area where there was once a barrel.  In that case, there was a lot of very small rust left in the ground, which could be picked up with a magnet but was not evident.  In cases like those, a probe could be used to see if an recoverable object is present.

Hudson suggests a probe with a pointed for ease of use for many situations, but a probe with a wood auger on the end to detect wood items, such as chests.

---

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net