Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2023

6/17/23 Report - Spanish Colonial Shiping Symposium Online. Atlantic Storm Watch. Curiosity Room.

 

Curiosity Room Montage.

Oddities and curiosities, researched or not, lay around the room providing food for thought.  

No matter where I look it seems I find an uncompleted project or an item that I forgot.

---

At the very top left of the montage is a Dr. S. Pitcher's Castoria bottle.   Seeing it made me wonder if it was in my tgbottlebarn blog site.  I checked, and it wasn't, so I just took a few new photos and put it in my tgbottlebarn blog site.  It is a pretty early bottle, as you will see.

---

I was looking at the blog data and trying to figure out why thousands of people were reading old posts in the treaurebeachesreport.blogspot.com site yesterday.  It undoubtedly got a mention somewhere big, but in the process I rediscovered what I thought was an excellent post.  More often than not I'm discouraged by finding typographical errors or something when I read old posts, but this one surprised me by how good it was.  Maybe I wasn't awake yet.  Anyhow, I found a great link to tons of great information on Spanish Colonial boats in that post that I thought should be mentioned again.  Here is it.


Below is a link that will take you to information on the following twelve topics.  You can read any and all of them online.

1. A group for the study of iberian seafaring – Filipe Vieira de Castro  7
2. The iberian caravel: tracing the development of a ship of discovery –  George R. Schwarz  23
3. Exploration and empire: iconographic evidence of iberian ships  of Discovery – Katie Custer  43
4. The nau of the Livro náutico: the textual excavation of a portuguese  indiaman – Alex Hazlett  63
5. The spanish navy and the ordenanzas of 1607, 1613, and 1618 –  Blanca Rodriguez Mendoza   79
6. Diego García de palacio and the instrucción náutica of 1587 –  Erika Laanela  153 7. Rigging an early 17th – century portuguese indiaman – Filipe  Vieira de Castro, Nuno Fonseca and Tiago Santos  177
8. Santo António de Tanná: story, excavation, and reconstruction –  Tiago Miguel Fraga  201
9. Spanish shipbuilding in the eighteenth century: the album  of the Marques De La Victoria – J. Bradshaw Coombes  215
10. Ship timber: forests and ships in the iberian peninsula during  the age of discovery – Pearce Paul Creasman  235
11. Nautical astrolabes – Gustavo Garcia  249
12. Design of a computer-based frame to store, manage, and divulge  information from underwater archaeological excavations: the pepper  wreck case – Carlos Monroy and Richard Furuta 275


Here is the link.

https://www.academia.edu/2026686/Edge_of_Empire._Proceedings_of_the_Symposium_held_at_the_2006_Society_for_Historical_Archaeology_Annual_Meeting_Sacramento_California?email_work_card=title

Very cool section on astrolabs too.

You don't often find a complete symposium published online, but there it is.  Don't neglect the reference lists at the end of each section.  I should add this one to my reference list.

---


Some activity showing up on the National Hurricane Center map.  Time of the year to watch for treasure storms.

Nothing but one or two foot surf predicted for the next few days though.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net



Musical instrument set from ancient Yue Kingdom unearthed in east China-Xinhua (news.cn)












 


---