Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

6/20/23 Report - Tropical Storm Bret. A Couple Finds. Titan Lost. Historical Resources in a Good Old Post.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

We now have a tropical storm named Bret in the Atlantic.   I checked a couple models and it looks like we won't have any significant impact from either of the systems now shown on the map.  Of course, things could change.

It looks like we'll continue to have mostly south and west winds for a few days.

---

Large Blown American Bottle Company Bottle.

This bottle is about fourteen inches tall and has bubbles in the glass.  According to the SHA.org site, the A B Co maker's mark, which is very faintly embossed on the bottom, indicates the bottle was made by the American Bottle Company, with a date range of 1906 - 1916.  I don't know what it held at this point.  Perhaps I'll find that out someday.  It is the largest blown bottle that I've ever found.  I posted this one before but never found out much about it.

---

Guilmard Eau Sublime Bottle.

Here is a bottle that contrasts starkly with the one above.  This one is small, machine made, and one that I forgot about until yesterday when I saw it again.  

I've been going through my bottles and trying to get them photographed for posting in my tgbottlebarn.blogspot.com.  It is green, which doesn't show in the photo.  

It is embossed as shown, and the marker's mark on the bottom is a P in a circle, which indicates the Pierce Glass Company (from SHA.org), which operated for from 1905 to 1987.  I don't often bother with screw top bottles but the Guilmard product has been around for a long time, even though this particular bottle is one of the later ones.

It seems that these bottles are often mistakenly listed as perfume bottles, here is an older example that holds a hair coloring product.


---

When I woke up yesterday I was thinking of the big bottle at the top of this post and thinking about containers.  That is one substantial container.  Whatever product it held is now gone, but over a hundred years later the container remains, and it is the container that I added to my collection, not the product it was made to hold.  Compare that hand blown bottle with the bottles of plastic we use and discard or recycle today.  Quite a difference.  While it isn't a valuable bottle, I appreciate it.  I like glass, I think partly because of its translucence.  I especially like the blown bottles.  

===

Talking about containers, the big news today is the loss of the submersible intending to visit the Titanic.  You would never get me on anything like that voluntarily, nor would you get me on a rocket to Mars.  

People put a lot of faith in very flimsy things.  Every time you push the brake pedal in your car, you expect it to stop the vehicle, and usually it does.  Yet some claim they cannot have faith in something they can't see, yet they do it all the time.

---

Treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com had thousands more views again yesterday.  I checked to see what was being read and found that people are reading some very good old posts.  Here is one of those that is over ten years old.  You probably forgot about it, or if you are a newer reader of this blog, maybe never read it.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 9/10/12 Report - Alvaro Mexia, Florida History Resources & More

---

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net