Search This Blog

Monday, June 5, 2023

6/5/23 Report - Hide Tides. Erosion and Improved Metal Detecting Conditions on Treasure Coast This Morning. Some Finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks Beach Monday Morning 



Frederick Douglass Beach Monday Morning.



Blind Creek Beach Monday Morning.



Walton Rocks Monday Morning.


I've been talking about the online weather charts and information lately, but if you are local, looking out the window can provide a lot of good information.  Yesterday I saw the wind coming from the northeast (as the charts also showed) and decided to go out this morning to see how things were developing.

I saw erosion everywhere I went, but I only visited four beaches on South Hutchinson Island.  Still, there was a continuous cut of one to three feet everywhere from John Brooks to Walton Rocks.

Some the beaches were pretty mushy but I did some metal detecting at the one area and picked up a good number of clad coins (sample shown below), but also something better.




Another thing you would have seen if you looked out the window last night is a full moon.  So you'd expect high tides, and the tide charts did indeed show unusually high tides.

The cuts were not back to the dunes, but I did get into some older sand and shells.  

The tide was coming up when I left, and the cut was still eroding back.

Source: Windy.com.

As you can see the waves will continue through tonight and into tomorrow morning before decreasing much.  They will continue from the northeast too.

Notice the waves are in meters instead of feet.  You can change that in windy.com, but I couldn't find it right off and wanted to finish this post.

I don't suspect that other areas of the Treasure Coast were also improved and very possibly more.

If I get reports from other areas, I'll try to post it as soon as I get a chance.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net