Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

9/27/23 Report - An Inscribed Bracelet and a Note in a Bottle Found at Jensen Beach Provides an Intriguing Mystery to be Solved.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



Two Views of Silver (.925) Bracelet Found by John H.


This bracelet found by John H. reads as follows:

 LCol Jonathan Morse (BJ) 14JAN18 0918hr.

PFC Austin Mcreynolds 14DEC13 0230hr

God's Plan; Too Soon Brothers.

Here is the story I received from John along with the above photos.

I found a bracelet at Jensen beach yesterday [Sunday].  It has some significance to someone, and I would like to return it. There is also some mystery to it and I find myself compelled to try and solve it. The 1st person's name on the bracelet I have been unable to find. The second is PFC Austin Mcreynolds. I did find his father on Face-book. His name is Greg Mcreynolds and he sent me a wonderful and tragic story about a message in a bottle "with a bracelet inside", dedicated to his son that started in the Florida Keys and ended up on Jensen Beach. It was found by a detectorist named Deb. On Jensen Beach. Now I have found a similar bracelet that also has his name on it, on the very same beach. Greg has no idea whose bracelet this is.

He wondered if anyone could Identify Deb, which might, with the aid of the note, help identify the owner of the bracelet.

I did a little research and learned how the Austin passed.  I didn't find Jonathan, which might actually be his middle name.  Maybe he goes by BJ rather than using his first name, which might begin with the letter  "B." That might account for the difficulty in finding info on Jonathan M.

The inscription below the names might also provide some clues.  "Too soon" might have to do with the youth's passing or something else.   You might have some other ideas about that, but if you know Deb or JB, maybe we'd learn the purpose of the bracelet and help it be returned or respected for what it is.

Thanks for your help.


Very interesting story John.  I hope my readers can help you get some more information.

When you have a lot of information on an item you find while metal detecting, there can still be a missing piece of the story.  

There are times when people don't want the whole story to be known.  There was once a New York Yankees World Series ring found at Jensen Beach.  It had the name and everything.  When the finder called the baseball player's home, he talked to the wife.  When she was told the ring was found at Jensen Beach, she said, "So he did go to Florida to see his girlfriend."  

There was also the time when a championship NBA ring was found in Miami and when contacted the player instead of being happy the ring was found, told the detectorist in no uncertain terms to not contact him again.  There are times like that when you don't know the story behind a find.

There are also times when memorial items are thrown into the ocean to say goodbye and the detectorist is advised to leave them there.

At Haulover Beach in Hollywood Florida there is a place where I used to dig up a lot of cremation labels from a certain funeral home.  

In 2012 I posted what one reader, Will, said about cremation tags.  Here that is.

I found my fifth and sixth cremation tags this week. I don't recall you ever mentioning them, so I thought I would share what I know about them. A cremation tag is placed in the container with the ashes of the deceased, for identification purposes, while the ashes are being processed. The fact that they end up in the ocean is incidental, not intentional. By law, you're supposed to be at least 3 nautical miles from shore before releasing the ashes into the ocean, and in many parts of Florida, the water has to be at least 1800ft deep. After finding 6 tags in 2 years, I doubt that very many people actually go the 3 miles out. I know that in the case of my father, a couple of years ago, my brother and I just kayaked out a couple of hundred yards offshore...




As I often say, a find can be the beginning of another search.  John's find is one of those.


You might also want to read about MIA/POW bracelets.  I told about them and one such find back in 2016.


---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

The two areas shown on the NHC map right now are expected to turn north and stay well away from Florida.


Surf Chart for the Fort Pierce Inlet Area
Source: SurfGuru.com.

So we should be seeing some increase in the surf early next week.