Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2024

4/13/24 Report - Finds from a Good Treasure Coast Hunt. Treasure or Not? You ID it. Backyard Cannon Balls.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Finds by Dan K. After One Hunt.

Dan K. sent me the above photo of his metal detecting finds along with the following story about how it happened.


I wanted to share a photo from a recent hunt. I hunted for 6 hours on Thursday evening after the south wind/swell we had this week. I checked 6 beaches along a 15 mile stretch of the coast and saw minimal signs of erosion at all of them. One of the first beaches I checked had a low spot so I returned to give it a try. There was a thick shell layer and lots of trash targets, so I walked south a bit. In the distance I began to see a small section of beach that looked interesting. As I got closer I couldn’t believe my eyes at the amount of erosion that had occurred at this one particular spot/small area. A deep bowl had pushed in close to the dune with a very steep slope up. I spent the rest of the hunt at this location and dug many good targets. Lots of sinkers, a Costa Rican 100 Colones coin, a clad Kennedy half dollar, 2 rings, loads of modern coins including a couple Bicentennial quarters and other miscellaneous items.

I’m always surprised how the hunting can be so good in one small area while everywhere else seems to be sanded in. It reminds me that it pays off to devote a good amount of time to scouting prior to taking out the detector.


Thanks Dan.  Great finds and a very instructive story for everyone.

One reason amount of time spent in the field is so important and ranked so highly on my formula for metal detecting success is that when you are out there a lot you have a better chance of being there at the right time and finding the hot spots.  Sometimes the hot spots will be few and far between and it will take a while to find them.  You might not see anything good from the beach access, but if you walk around the bend or walk far enough you might just find one of those hot spots like Dan did.  

---

Below are some finds from Shane S.  He wanted to know if this was treasure or not?  He said it was found deep in yellow sand.  What do you think?

Finds By Shane S.

Below are closeups on two smalls.


Closeups On Two of the Finds Shown Above.

He didn't send dimensions, but the two smalls look tiny from their size compared to the clips.

What do you all think?

---

Civil War Cannon Ball Found by Landscapers in Viriginia Yard.

This Civil War cannon ball was found by landscapers in a yard.

Here is the link.

Civil War Cannonball Found In Yard - Search News (bing.com)

Reminds me of the Jensen lady that found a cannon ball in her yard.  I posted that a few years ago.

Here is that cannon ball.

Cannon Ball Found In Jensen Yard.

That was back in 2019.  Here is the link to the original post.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 5/18/19 Report - Exciting Treasure Found in Jensen Backyard. Beautiful Artifacts of the Atomic Age. Alchemy of Treasure Hunting.

---

My favorite treasure programs are Gold Rush: White Water and America's Backyard Gold on the Discovery Channel on Friday evenings.

===

Not much surf this week, but some decent low tides.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net