Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

4/24/24 Report - More Info On The Groat Find. George Washington's Cherry of a Treasure in Bottles. Gold Nuggets.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Recent Treasure Coast Coin Find Believed to be a British Groat.

I posted the above coin found by Tom on the 21st.  Since then Tom has been able to make out some of the detail on the coin.  Here is what he said.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the coin. Since posting I have realized that on the front side of the coin, you can see the word Regina, so and believing that this is a Queen Elizabeth I British groat.
Attached is a little better picture. Weights 3.8 g.

Second Image Submitted by Tom.



Of course, there is always the question of how it turned up on a Treasure Coast beach.  The date is not unreasonable for it coming from a wreck or some related activity.  We just can't say.  

===


Centuries-old bottles of cherries unearthed at George Washington’s home.


Archaeologist Nick Beard was gently pushing aside the hardened dirt in the basement of George Washington’s home at Mount Vernon, Va., last fall when he spotted the mouth of a glass bottle.

Beard worked his trowel a little more and the neck of the bottle emerged. Not that unusual, he thought. Archaeologists find lots of bottle fragments.

But as he dug, more of the object appeared. “It kept [getting] larger and larger,” he said.

He stuck his finger in the mouth to see if he might wiggle the piece loose. “And my finger came back wet,” he said. “I thought about it for a half-second longer and said, ‘Oh, my God, my finger is wet,’” he recalled...

Here is the link for more about that.


===

The first session in the Sedwick auction is huge.  It starts off with gold coins, but lot 96 is a nice gold bar having an auction estimate of $200,000 to $400,000.  Then there are some nuggets, below is one of those.


Unfortunately the nuggets aren't 1715 Fleet.  They are from Arizona.  Nice nuggets though.  Take a look.

I remember the day I found nuggets at John Brooks.  They were my first beach nuggets and it took years before I got my first, so it was a treat.  There were other detectorists on the beach that day and I wouldn't be surprised if more were found that day, but I've never seen mention of it.  

I showed that nugget before.

---

Surf Chart From SurfGuru.com.

Tuesday the surf was around four to five feet.  Tomorrow and for a few days it will be smaller.  

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net