Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2024

4/30/24 Report - Recent Treasure Coast Metal Detecting Finds and Lessons. Angles and Finds. Don't Do This When You Fly.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Hutchinson Island Beach
Hunted Sunday by Mark G.

Mark G. sent the following report and accompanying photos.

I got all my chores done and managed to get out Saturday for a short time, weather was gorgeous. I hunted a small public beach on Hutchinson Island about a 100 yards of surf at low tide around 2:00 to 4:00 PM. You can see the cuts are all well sanded in and the low flat areas were pretty soft indicating fresh sand, the winds from the SE were doing their job. My first hit was a dime hunting north to south following the tide out. A few more passes and I picked up a nickel. As the tide went out and I could get further down the slope is when I hit the quarters. I hit a quarter with almost every pass 6 quarters in total however they did not sound like quarters they were a little low and a full scoop deep, all of them. As the tide came back in pushing me back up the slope I hit the penny making the cycle and calling it a day. Believe it or not that shiny new penny is a 1988 but I gave up trying to guess when coins are dropped by patina, there’s too many variables. Very little junk, one fishing weight, an iron slug and a nail, the nail I dug because it was giving me a hit every pass so after 3 passes I just dug it out of the way, the aluminum and metal strip came from the dry sand beach to and from the wash.

Purpose of the story:

I believe the SE winds or Easterly winds are washing the coins back in. I will cite your blog from 3/23/2024 https://tbr2020.blogspot.com/2024/03/32324-report-beach-dynamics-and.html in which you said coins can be classified as they wash up or wash out from the beach.

Quote:

“When things are getting washed up onto the beach, you'll often find quarters low on the beach, then dimes, and then pennies higher up.  Things do often get classified and that is a common pattern when coins are being washed up.   

When coins are getting washed out from the beach, the pattern will often be reversed.  Quarters can be at the top and pennies at the bottom.” 

To prove this theory I went back Sunday same time but tide was an hour later and I couldn’t stay but, to reinforce the theory I did find a dime and a very lite aluminum trinket high on the beach while the tide was going out.

 

Thank You

Mark G.



Finds Made by Mark G. Sunday.



Thanks much Mark.   

---

I've made a lot of wind and swell direction, and it is important, but it must be taken relative to the shoreline.  On the East Coast, for example, northeasters are most recognized as being most impactful on a large scale, but on the West Coast of Florida, it is a northwest wind that is most impactful.  That is not to say other directions never have a positive effect, as Mark just explained and illustrated.  South winds and surf will erode certain areas, depending upon a variety of factors.  We've had some very good erosion from north/northwest winds on the East Coast too.  A north wind will scrape much of the East Coast, which runs a little west to east along much of the coast.

It is necessary to remember that the shoreline is not straight.  There are many curves and bends and there are other obstacles such as jetties, rocks and other obstructions, all of which must be taken into account. Mostly it runs a little west to east, but there are many variations in the angle.  A jetty, for example, can shelter the beach from northeast wind and make it vulnerable to swells from other directions.  So obstructions are important too  So are reefs and sandbars.

---

On the topic of air travel with a metal detector, Bill H. submitted his unenviable experience.  

 I was returning to Michigan when I read your soliciting stories about traveling with a detector. I have one that "Takes the cake"!
Flying to California from Michigan with my family I opted to fly with my detector in a clearly marked detector vinyl carry bag along with other luggage.  No problem going, however returning we stopped over in Atlanta to switch flights with a 90 minute delay. All baggage is checked and moved to another plane. While waiting for our gate call we ate and toured the airport. I kept thinking I heard my name over the speakers but I thought I would wait til we returned to the gate to find out why. When we returned to the departure gate I checked in. The employee demanded to know "Where were You? We have been paging your name."!  I enquired as to what the problem was and she responded, "There is something on one of  your suitcases that is vibrating!" and she pointed out to the concourse where she advised me that the jet had been towed out away from the ramp for safety purposes. Yep, our plane was 100 yards out from the building with security police surrounding it. A police officer approached us and took my wife, two sons and I out in a police car to the baggage compartment of the plane. Once there I was ordered to open the detector bag.  Turns out my Garrett turned on in transit and beeped every time it moved. It did not vibrate. I turned it off and took the batteries out- problem solved. No one could explain why someone couldn't have unzipped the bag on a clearly marked carry bag to see what the problem was.  
We were returned to the gate and an angry crowd, and wife.  The crowd was mad because we were 45 minutes late for departure and my wife was angry because everyone on the plane was aware that we were traveling with something that was vibrating in her suitcase. I paid dearly for that one for a long time.  TAKE the BATTERIES OUT when traveling.
Bill H.

Thanks Bill.  I'll bet you don't forget to take the batteries out the nest time.  And your wife will help remind you.

---

The surf will be decreasing the next few days.  Nothing special with the tides.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net