Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2024

4/20/24 Report - Mystery Encrusted Object Identified. A Great Reference: 18th Century Rigging and Seamanship Book.


Written by the TreasrueGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



I found a great reference.  I can't say enough about it.  Above is the title page. 

It is an extensive work in multiple parts with some excellent illustrations, but before I get any farther into that, I want to return to some unfinished business.  A few posts ago I posted this photo of a partially cleaned EO found by Mark G.

Partially Cleaned EO
Found and Cleaned by Mark G.

A couple readers who really know what they are talking about identified Mark's find even though it isn't yet totally cleaned.  

First is what John L said.  Here is his email.

Hello again, 

I believe Mark's object is a thimble, still commonly used today on sailboats and anywhere a reinforced eye in, usually the bitter end of a line is needed, such as in an anchor rode, where chain meets line.

Just a guess, but an educated guess, from 55 years of experience on the water, messing around in boats, usually classic sailboats. 

I sail a Cape Dory 22D which I purchased in Huntington, NY in 1983. She just turned 41!

Hope this helps a bit. I am anxious to hear what Mark thinks he has.

John


John isn't alone.  Here is what Josh R. said.

 

I believe that the EO found by Mark G. could be a Thimble, commonly used with boat anchor lines to prevent chafing the line. 


They come in Stainless Steel or are galvanized.  They are also used on wire lines.

 

Thanks again for your relentless efforts providing information and motivation for me and all others.

 

Ron 


Thanks John and Ron.


Here is a photo of a modern rope thimble in case you don't know what John and Ron are talking about. 


Rope Thimble.


I wasn't familiar with that terminology and went looking to see what more I could learn. That is when I found the book I mentioned above, The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship, and I'm glad I did.  The title gives only a modest idea of the extent of that work and the detailed information on 18th century sailing.  When you reach the end of one part, you can click to go on to the next part.  There are several parts.  I lost count.


Below are a couple of the many great illustrations. 








It would seem that if you mastered this book you could build your own galleon.  Detailed measurements and more are included.


If you are really interested in the treasures of the Treasure Coast, you will definitely want to study, or at least browse, this reference.  You'll be amazed by the amount of information you will find.


Here is the link.


The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship (maritime.org)


I'll be adding the link to my reference link list.


===

The Treasure Coast will have mostly a one-to-three-foot surf this week.  The tides are unramarkable too.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net