Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2024

4/21/24 Report - A Couple Recent Treasure Coast Finds Reported: British Groat and Lima Cob. More on Rope Thimble.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Coin Recently Found by Tomojr on a Treasure Coast Beach.

Tom found the following coin which he described in an email as follows.

Hi, I found this coin on a Treasure Coast Beach this past Wednesday.

I was under a boardwalk crossover, where the new sand wasn’t real deep. This came out of the dirt to my surprise. Not sure but I think it is a British Groat. I always wonder, how did this end up on a treasure coast beach. And to find it now with all the sand replenishment happening. Any ideas?

Tomojr

Thanks for sharing Tom.

I have little to no knowledge of British groats, which run from the 14th to 19th centuries.  That is quite a range, and I haven't narrowed down the range of this one.

 A search of the PAS finds database shows over 11,000 groat finds.  

Here is one example from the database.  It shows a profile looking left, which is not the most common portrait that I saw.


Here is the link if you want look through the PAS database for "groats."

Search results from the database Page: 5 (finds.org.uk)

Maybe some of the readers of this blog can add some information on this find.

---

Silver Cob Found by Duane on Treasure Coast About Ten Days Ago..

Duane said "Lima mint possibly 1712 date. Unknown if it was a possible neck hanger lost?"  That is about all he said about it.

Excellent photos Duane.  I thought I might see a seam around it in the photo, but Duane got a reputable coin shop to look at it and they said it was good.

Here is the edge.

Edge of the Same Cob.

So there are two examples of interesting Treasure Coast finds.

Thanks for sharing.

---

Back to the EO found by Mark G.  A couple readers said it looked like a rope thimble.  Mark G. thought that was probably right.

John L. added the following.

From the size of it, it is exciting to think it could be a 1715 artifact, but it could also be from a modern commercial vessel such as a towing barge, etc. 

Knowing the metallurgical details would certainly help I would think. Most today are either galvanized steel or stainless. Within the last century though, they were exclusively made of bronze.

Mark then said, "It appears to be constructed with two types of material, see the circled areas in the photos. I haven’t figured out what the outer material is yet but I am willing to bet the construction will tell us when it was made."

Thanks to Mark for sharing the find and continuing with the cleaning and to my reader's for adding their information.

---

I added the link to the 18th century book, Elements and Practice to Rigging and Seamanship, to my reference link list.  It is the newest addition and is at the bottom of the list.

---

The next couple of days the surf will be only two feet or so, but Wednesday or Thursday there will be a little bump up to three or four feet.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net