Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2020

9/13/20 Report - Storms and Weather All Around. Building and Using a Merkitch Beach Sifter.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive us of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov


Still a lot of tropical activity out there.  Too bad Sally is headed to Louisiana.  Those poor people have had enough already.

Today the Treasure Coast surf was something like four to six feet.  Supposed to be about the same tomorrow.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

I started my day by capturing a squatter that had been living in my garage.  I thought it might be a possum, and it was.  

I saw the signs of activity, but wasn't able to see it or catch it until I got one of those live catch traps.  It worked the first night.

It was a juvenile possum.  He was let free to roam the woods.  Cute little fellow.

Anyhow, I didn't get out to the beaches today.  Had a variety of things to do besides trapping animals.

My next few days of searching are already planned out.  I hope I can follow through with it.

Tomorrow, as you can see from the MagicSeaWeed chart above, tjhe surf is supposed to be four to six feet again with mostly with east winds.

None of those storms or potential storms look like they will threaten the Treasure Coast.  Most are heading off into the mid-Atlantic.

---

JamminJack sent me some photos from an old booklet by Warren Merkitch explaining how to make a beach sifter.  I once had that book and made a couple sifters.

Thanks Jack.

Here are the plan's as shown in that book.

Plans for Merkitch Beach Sifter From Book by Warren Merkitch.
Image sent to me by JamminJack.

I made and used one sifter that was very much like the Merkitch sifter shown above.  And I had another that was constructed from an abandoned shopping cart I found along some railroad tracks.

Notice there are two versions of the sifter shown above.  One is for dry sand and the other for shallow water.  

I'd recommend some modifications.  I prefer a wider but shorter sifter with bigger wheels or runners instead of wheels.

It does work, and it will pick up very thin chains and a lot of junk, but the junk isn't much problem because you don't have to dig it and you can see it in the sifter.

You can only sift a few top inches, which is alright in some situations.


Photo of Actual Sifter Posted in This blog in 2017.
submitted, and I presume constructed, by Joe D.


No matter how you use a sifter like this it is a lot of work.  You'll get your exercise for sure.

Here is a link to a post I did in which I mentioned the subject in 2013.

https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2013/04/4113-report-jensen-beach-renourishment.html

---

Happy hunting, 

TreasureGuide@comcast.com