Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2020

9/24/20 Report - Beaches Unchanged. Surf Decreasing. Digging Modern This Morning. 17th Century Warship Found.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Thursday Morning.


I had something else to do on South Hutchinson Island and stopped at John Brooks early.  Nothing much had changed except the surf was a little smaller.  It was still coming in and crashing on the sand in front of the beach.  The beach was just one gradual slope back to the dunes.  The top half of the slope was mushy, but the wet sand a little firmer.  Here is a better look at John Brooks.


John Brooks Beach Early Thursday Morning.

I checked Frederick Douglass, which looked very much like John Brooks.  I didn't detect but a few minutes at John Brooks, and I decided I wanted to go where I could dig a good number of targets, even if they weren't worth much.  I was just in the digging mood, so I went to one of those places where I figured there might be a good number of targets.  I passed by there a couple days ago, and it looked good, so that is where I went.  I figured it hadn't changed in the past couple of days.  Below is what I found.


Thursday Morning Finds.

I found about three dollars in change, a silver chain necklace marked "925 Italy", and a broken piece of a bracelet or necklace that I haven't tested yet, but am not expecting much.

It was a full-slope scatter.  There were no coin lines or holes, but targets were loosely scattered over the entire slope.  It took me about an hour, which is the most swinging I've done since probably March.  Since there was no distribution pattern I had to cover a lot of area.  Targets were equally spread from the top to the bottom of the beach along a good stretch, and there was very little trash.  I know not to expect anything valuable there.  People just don't wear expensive things at that beach.

The funny thing is that I only dug three junk targets, not counting two lead sinkers, and the three junk targets (two bottle tops and one piece of aluminum can) were the deepest targets I dug all day.  I did encounter older brown sand below the more recent renourishment sand.

I knew what I was in for when I selected that beach.  Some days I wouldn't have bothered.  I wouldn't have gone there earlier this week, for example, but today I just felt like digging some targets.

---

17th Century Danish Warship Found.

Source: AncientPages link shown below.

The sensational ship finds have all been made in connection with construction works for the upcoming tunnel to Germany. The marine archaeologists from the Viking Ship Museum have found the shipwreck at 3.5 meters water depth just 150 meters from Lolland's south coast.

"It's an exciting wreck,” said explains Morten Johansen, curator at the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, who is responsible for the work. First, it is the last of the sunken ships from the Battle of the Fehmarnbelt in October 1644. Secondly, Delmenhorst is special because it is one of the first ships built after drawing,"...

Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.ancientpages.com/2020/09/22/missing-delmenhorst-17th-century-danish-warship-from-battle-of-fehmarn-found/

---

No storms to watch right now.  The surf is decreasing.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net