Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2020

9/4/20 Report - Finds and Observations From Some Of This Blog's Readers. Keep Watching the Atlantic.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of Treasure Beaches Report.

Two Great Finds by Al C.

Al C. went with a buddy on a fossil hunting trip near Savannah, Ga.  He took along his metal detector and obviously did very well with it.  Not only did he find a bunch of fossils, including a ton of great shark teeth, but also came away with this 1807 reale.

 

Other Side of the Same Carolus IIII Reale.


Very nice collection of fossils.  Notice that there are  a few that are not shark teeth.  I see what might be a whole or porpoise tooth, for example.




Great finds Al!  Thanks for sharing. 

I'm sure Al knows, but you might be surprised to learn how much nice meg teeth will sell for.  Some were included in recent Sedwick auctions, for example.

---

Bill P. sent the following instructive email.


... Years ago I detected Clearwater Beach relentlessly and founds lots of jewelry. But the most interesting hunt was one afternoon after work, I crossed the main parking lot and turned my machine on right at the edge of the sidewalk heading towards the sand. Within a few feet, I got a screaming loud signal and thought great another soda can. I stooped down and picked a 1918 Walking Liberty half right on the surface. Cool! Somebody probably just dropped their lucky coin. However, after a few more swings I picked up a couple silver dimes and a silver quarter. Wait a minute; what is going on here. In my haste to get into the water, I didn't notice the construction barricades and equipment. I found out later the city had recently replaced a water line and back filled the ditch. Unbeknownst to me, the area in question was a major concession area "back in the day" and I was the fortunate recipient of between 40 and 50 US silver coins, most within 2 inches of the surface. I wonder how many more were out of detector range. Of all the gold and silver jewelry I found there over the years, the silver hunt was my most memorable. Lesson: Don't ignore construction sites and be safe. Bill Popp


Good tip Bill.  

Thanks.

---

And one more email - this one from JamminJack.


 Found your last (actually two posts ago now) post interesting.

On the section on waves, I found I did better when surf was minimal. I used to find a lot of really good stuff down by the water edge and usually when the tide was going out. 

I would work towards the dunes then back down to the water edge. I would do this for a while or until I got several hits. I would then turn my attention to drawing an imaginary line parallel to the ocean where the majority hits were. I always worked one direction below the line and back another direction above the line. (Sometimes the tide allowed only a limited lane.)

I noticed the experienced detectorists would go to their favorite spot and go up and down, but rarely saw anyone draw an imaginary line and work a longer stretch of the beach. This is not to be confused with those that work closer to the water or speed detecting.

Whatever works, and most of us are stuck in our ways. This is why you include a lot of valuable info and let us decide for ourselves. 

Anyway, more stuff for the knowledgeable; research, etc.

Jammin Jack


Thanks Jack.  Everybody gets stuck in their ways to some extent.  It is always good to check yourself.  Do some different things once in a while and see how it turns out.  

Like Al C. above, I think it is good to do different types of hunting.  You can often learn something by participating in different types of activities.

If there are old meg teeth in an area, there are probably other old things in the neighborhood.   

Cross-training, which is wha they call it in sports, helps you break old habits.  And you often learn something from one kind of activity that can be applied to another.

Hunting gold nuggets in a stream, for example, can teach you a lot about how items are sifted and sorted by water.  That can be useful jknowledge for beach hunting.

===



Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Keep an eye on those systens heading west.

In the mean time, the Treasure Coast surf remains small.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net