Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2020

9/14/20 Report - Beaches Sandy Today. Mike's Spot. More on Merkitch Sifter. Five Named Storms.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Wabasso Beach Monday Morning.

I took a look at a few beaches between Vero and Sebastian.  There wasn't much going on.  

The beaches that I saw weren't cut at all.  I saw few people today, and nobody detecting.

The water had been back near the dunes, but the beaches were building.

I was using a new camera and took a lot more pictures than I got.  Don't know what I did wrong.

Anyhow, above is Wabasso.  And below is another beach - either Ambersands or Turtle Trail - I think Ambersands.

It doesn't matter much which it was because they all were piled high with sand and looked pretty much the same.


Treasure Coast Beach Monday Morning.

Seagrape Trail was still closed, and they were trucking sand into Tracking Station.  There was also a lot of road construction and delays between Vero and Sebastian.

I'll have to learn how to use this camera better.

Yesterday Michael T. found a spot he liked.  Here is how he described it.

Good morning This is Mike T. in Stuart! It’s been quite a few years since I reached out to you and shared some of my finds but I have always been a faithful reader of your blog and certainly enjoy it and the time you put into it.

I finally found a sweet little spot on South Hutchinson Island Sunday morning while walking the dog. It is a spot where I have consistently found good older items over the years and with the wave and wind action the last few days it scooped  out just enough to open up a small coin line and expose some deep stuff.
 
Once done walking the dog I ran home and grabbed my gear and came back before the tide moved in. As you know and have always expressed, things settle in certain areas and I have learned this over the years to do a few cross scan patterns up and down and across until you find a target and then work out from there and sure enough this was the case. There was a very straight consistent line about 6 feet wide and about 80 feet long that was holding these specific items. There was also a lot of trash in there as well which is not in the picture.  The first target I found was that bullet and it was down about 11 inches In hard pack shell. Second target 2 feet away was that lead fishing Lure and the ring came up another 5 feet away in the same line. Every target I dug was at least 8 inches down, the ring  was down 7-8 inches the fishing lure was about 14”. I hunt with an older Minelab Explorer II and a 15 inch WOT coil.

One thing I noticed when walking the dog was how hard the ground was under my heels when walking also the shape of the horseshoe cut that had been made and the size and shape of the rocks exposed...all signs of certain success.

I am 51 years old and have grown up here my entire life and have been treasure hunting avidly on the beach since I was 12 with my first whites machine back in the early 80s on Juno Beach. Those were the days!

I have many friends who always want me to take them out and teach them how to hunt treasure and I always explain to them as kindly as possible that it is not something you can just teach quickly. It takes a long time and years of experience understanding wind, waves and just looking at the beach and being able to spot potential areas. I am always happy to share what I know as it is not a secret but it is hard to teach people what you just “feel” and “see” and I know you understand this! Thanks again for writing your blog it is truly a joy for all of us out here!

And here are his finds. Not only did he find coins and a ring, he also picked up some sea glass.


Mike T's Sunday Finds.


Ring Found 
by Mike T. Sunday.


Thanks for sharing Mike.

Notice that Mike found his detecting spot when he was walking the dogs and then went to get his detector.  Looking around without your detector can pay off.  It doesn't hurt to just spend some time scouting around.

Feel can also be a good indicator.  You can feel how firm the sand is under your feet.  Pay attention to that.

---

Yesterday I mentioned the Merkitch sifter and showed the plans for such a sifter that JamminJack found in a booklet by Warren Merkitch.  I had that booklet at one time and might still have it somewhere.

I've never seen anyone else using a Merkitch sifter, but I know that at least one other person had one.  I once posted a photo of one sent to me by Joe D, so I know other people have tried it.  It isn't the kind of thing that I'd expect to be widely adopted.  As I said, using it is a lot of work.  

I don't think there are a dozen living people who would put in the effort to cover large areas of beach with a sifter like that.  It might not be bad if you had a Clydesdale to pull it.  But there are applications for a device like that.  Think about it.  What if there was a place where you knew there were tons of targets, and perhaps also trash, but metal detecting was not allowed? 

I think I mentioned that you might want to make a couple modifications.  The wheels don't work great on sand.  You could try larger wheels or runners.   And salt water will corrode the entire device.  I made one using the frame of a plastic shopping cart that I found abandoned by a railroad.  It worked too, although it was very different from the Merkitch design.  In any case, you want a good target rich area to justify the effort of pulling a sifter.

---

Five Named Storms All At Once.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov

There are a lot of systems to watch.  We might get some beach improvement in the future.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net