Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

7/20/21 Report - Atocha Gold Coin Just Recovered. Generations. Dug Items and Clues From Indian River Ridge.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

As Mel Fisher Days approaches, a rare gold coin was found by Zach Moore working under Captain Tim Meade on the J. B. Magruder at the Atocha site on July 16.   This coin is only the 121st gold coin ever found on the Atocha site, which has produced many pieces of eight and some huge silver bars.

At least two pieces of eight were also found, one by diver Jacob Bell, and another by an investor.  Some other artifacts were also found.

Jammin Jack pointed said,  Capt. Meade [of the Magruder] is Chuck's son. Chuck Meade and Sam Turner operate the L.A.M.P. organization at the lighthouse in St. Augustine. Zach Moore is Bill's son, who was the conservator for Taffi before Brent took over. Now, we have second and third generation running these operations.

Thanks Jack.

The gold coin could be worth up to $98,000, depending upon the mint.

Investors can dive on with the crews and there are special investor events.

The Atocha Motherlode was discovered in 1985, so this year will be the 36th anniversary.

---

Here is a broken spring I recovered from the Indian River Ridge site where I've been digging tons of railroad artifacts.  The cross section measures about 1.25 inches across.  It is a heavy spring like what you see on railroad cars.

Large Broken Spring.


I take this as evidence supporting the theory of a wreck or derailment.  It would seem to take a lot to break something that big.

That is a root sticking out of it.  I had to cut the root to get the spring out of the ground.  This is not an easy site to work.

Bogie Showing Springs.


Below is an iron file and small adjustable wrench that I dug from the same site.  I had no idea how old the adjustable wrench could be, but after a little research found it could be older than previously I imagined.

Small Wrench and Large Iron File Recovered.

I found one such wrench in An Identification Guide to Recovered Colonial and Revolutionary War Artifacts (by Timothy McGuire) that was dated to the very early 19th century or before.  Of course the one I found would probably be much later.  I think it looks like close to 1940, but more research is needed.


Wrench and Other British Tools
From Brownstown Creek (1770 - 1813)
Source: McGuire book referenced above.


So adjustable wrenches can be much older than I previously thought might be the case.  I could give more examples, but that isn't necessary now.

I can make out some of the writing on the wrench I found.

Dug Wrench Reads Something and then FORGED ALLOY STEEL.

I think the other side might have a patent date, but I haven't been able to make it out yet.  I'll try to clean it up.

I have permission to dig another site next to the railroad, which I think has the possibility of producing more interesting finds.   I hope to do that in the fall when the beach isn't producing much.

---

No storms forming.

The surf isn't doing much, but we are now getting some nice negative tides.  I will be taking advantage of that.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net