Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2021

7/8/21 Report - $10,000 in Cash Found. Finds From a Recent Bottle Hunt and A Quick Metal Detecting Outing.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: See Fox News link below.


The search for $10,000 in cash hidden away in the mountains of Utah is over.

Last month, John Maxim and David Cline launched the second-annual Utah treasure hunt, and just 17 days later, the treasure was found.

Andy Swanger, 33, from Draper, Utah, tells Fox News that he found the buried chest -- filled with $10,000 cash, a 10-ounce silver coin and other items -- at about 2:00 p.m. on Monday at a place called Heughs Canyon Trail, at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon in Utah..

 $10,000 Utah hidden treasure found: ‘Overwhelming and humbling’ | Fox News

Thanks to DJ for that link.

===


Embossed LARVEX Bottle.

I picked up this bottle  a couple days ago while on a bottle hunt.  I was just laying there in plain sight and in prefect conditions.  I wondered how I missed it so many times before.  Usually, they are at least partly buried, have seaweed or barnacles on them or are in someway not so easy to see.

Anyhow, after doing a little research, I discovered it was a better find than I thought.  The cobalt blue is the least valuable, which is different.  Cobalt blue bottles are often desirable.  These come in a couple other more rare colors.

Here is what I learned.

Larvex Corporation was a company which manufactured Spraying Larvex, a pest control product used in moth proofing woolen fabrics. The firm was acquired by Zonite Products Corporation in October 1926. Zonite added Rinsing Larvex to its line of products after the takeover was finalized. The pesticides were also referred to as Larvex liquid and cake.

Larvex Corporation continued as a subsidiary of Zonite Products Corporation until December 31, 1936. On this date Zonite Products Corporation informed the New York Stock Exchange that it was dissolving its six subsidiaries.

Bottom of the Larvex Bottle Showing
Maryland Glass Company Mark.

The circle M indicates the bottle was manufactured by the Maryland Glass Company.

Maryland Glass was acquired by the Dorsey Corporation in 1968, and I believe that the “M” mark was used for a time thereafter, but eventually discontinued sometime in the  1970s.

I'll post this bottle in my TGBottleBarn.blogspot.com site.

===

Last night I did a little more digging on the Indian River Ridge site.  I spent most of my time on one hole, which kept widening.  In the hole were several pieces of iron, including some straps and wire, a bolt and nut, a tin drinking cup, a couple odd pieces and other items, including those shown below.

Three Stopper-top Bottles Pulled From One Hole.


The clear bottles are between 4.25 and 4.5 inches tall.  There is usually some of the substance used to seal the bottle still on the lip.

Lip of Clear Bottle.

I've found at least a half dozen clear bottles like the ones shown above on this site now, which helped answer a big question for me.  I was wondering if the bottles I was finding were buried with the other railroad hardware or if they were just scattered over the site.  After finding these in one hole with the other metal items, I'm pretty sure that these bottles were buried along with the other railroad items and had something to do with that event.  That helped answer a question that had been on my mind.

It the bottles I've been finding were buried together with the other railroad discards, I would expect much fewer of them to remain buried on the site at this point.  On the other hand, if those that I had dug were not associated with the railroad discards, but were just scattered around the site and were purely incidental finds, I'd expect a lot more of them to remain undiscovered.  Since they seem to be associated with the buried discards, I don't think I'd find too many other kinds of bottles on the site, and I don't think there would be so many more remaining in the ground.  

Since I've found at least a half dozen of them so far, I'm curious about the use of the small clear glass stopper-top bottles.  

This detecting site has been an interesting project for me.  Nothing much of value has been found, and I don't expect anything of much value to be found, but the picture of what went on is becoming more clear all the time.

As I've always said, junk finds might not be valuable, but they can provide important clues.  That applies to any hunt no matter whether it is on a beach or inland.]

===

Comments on this blog are moderated.  Some site tried to post some advertisements in the comments.  They were deleted.  

===

I had two Orange-barred Sulfur butterflies that emerged today.  Maybe I'll get a photo before they are released.  

===

Elsa is now in South Carolina.  Nothing else on the National Hurricane Center map, but the season is young and we can expect many more before the season is over.

Just a one of two foot surf on the Treasure Coast now.  

I'm hoping to get a chance to metal detect one eroded area near low tide today.  I wanted to do it yesterday, but the weather didn't cooperate.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net