Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2021

7/23/21 Report - Mystery Items for ID. Various Recent Finds. One Area of Weather To Watch. Patent Numbers and Dates.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Pieces Of Copper Frame(?)

When I dug up these pieces of copper in shallow, I thought they might be the frame parts from an antique purse such as the one shown below.  Now I don't think so.  They seem too light and there is not much evidence of a latch.  

I'm pretty sure they form part of a frame, but for what I don't know.  Any ideas?


Antique Purse With Ornate Frame.

I found a purse like that before.  I wonder if I can find it now.

---

Couple Alligator Scutes Found While Bottle Hunting.

While on a bottle hunt yesterday, I found these alligator scutes.  I also saw an alligator vertibra or two but didn't pick them up this time.

I did pick up a couple bottles. The smaller one is embossed Whitehurst, and the other is an embossed Listerine bottle, which is very common.

Two Bottles Found During
A Walk At Low Tide.

I think I've found one like the Whitehurst bottle before.  The J. Harrison Whitehurst Company sold juniper tar for coughs and various maladies in that type of bottle.  The vertical embossing would be where the paper label left a space in the back. 

The web site for the National Museum of American History shows one below that still has its paper label.

Source: See link below.

 

A day or two ago I dug these four sections of railroad.



And here they are now.  At about fifty pounds each, they turned into some pretty sturdy legs for a garden bench.  The wood seat came from a beach.


Garden Bench With Legs Made
From Dug Railroad Track Sections

---

A few days ago I mentioned a wrench that I found on the Indian River Ridge site.  I thought it might have a patent date on it, but it didn't.  It looks like a patent number, but I can't make it out.

Nonetheless here is a handy web site that give the years for U. S. patent numbers

U. S. Patent Dates (oldstuffonly.com)

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Not much chance that this area will develop into much, but it isn't in a bad location for us if it does decide to develop into something.

We are having some nice low tides, which I've been enjoying.  The surf is down around one foot.

Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net