Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2021

7/22/21 Report - Some Metal and Glass Finds. Local History. WWII Recycling. Nice Low Tides.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Green Deeply Paneled Bottle Embossed DR. SHOOP'S FAMILY MEDICINES, RACINE, WIS.

I don't know if I posted this bottle find before or not, but I just found a lot of good information on the bottle.

It is a deeper green than the picture shows and has deep panels and embossing.  It is about 6,25 inches high and 2.5 inches wide and deep.

Dr. Shoop's Medicine Bottle Showing Large Bubbles in the Glass.


Tjere is no maker's mark on the bottom.

Bottom of Dr. Shoop's Medicines Bottle.


I was fortunate to find a lot of information on Dr. Shoop, and that is why I decided to post this find today.  Here is one paragraph from a much larger article on Dr. Shoop.

Dr. Shoop opened a medical practice in 1883 and by 1890 established a line of cure - all patent medicines which were sold door to door by agents. Dr. Shoop’s Family Medicine Co. was incorporated June 30, 1891, (Capital, $20,000) with Shoop, Jackson I. Case and Charles A. Corbitt as officers. Unable to find suitably large quarters Shoop had plans drawn for a new plant. A lot was purchased and the first three stories of the Shoop Building were completed in 1893, with three additional stories added in 1899 making it the tallest commercial building in Racine.

Here is the link if you want to learn more about this local bottle find.

Racine Post: Celebrating 175 years: Dr. Shoop, Racine's creator of 'nerve tonic'

I'll post the  bottle pictures and the entire article in tgbottlebarn.blogspot.com sometime in the next couple of days.

___

Yesterday during low tide I took a little walk and  found a couple alligator scutes and a couple more embossed bottles yesterday.  I'll post them when I get photographs made.  The bottles weren't nearly as nice as the Shoop bottle though.

In the past couple of days I also dug some heavy iron, including a stack of five buried rail plates and four rail sections.

Dug Rail Plates.


Dug Sections of Railroad Tracks.

As I've said before, I began metal detecting this lot intending to show how much it takes to work out a site.  Now I've worked on this site many days, an hour or so each time, and there is still a lot in the ground.  When this lot became available, I had no idea what I was getting into.  As it turns out, this lot was a very unusual lot filled with intentionally buried items that it seems were discarded after a single big event.  It seems the question, what happened here, has been answered.  It took a lot of work, and still no old coins have been found.  Just some new ones from parts of the lot that were contaminated by more recent activities.  There will be more finds from this site, as I dig farther into the brush.

I intended to show how difficult it is to really clean out a site, but when I started I didn't know I picked a site that would hold so much and take so much time to clean out.  I stumbled on the remains of an even that evidently took place back around the 1930s, which is my best estimate at this time.

During the war, there was a call for recycling various materials including metals.  I'm thinking the site must be prewar because of all the iron being discarded instead of recycled, but I might be wrong about that.

Here is an article on the Scrap drives of World War II.

Metal shortages were also critical. In 1942 citizens scoured their homes, farms, and businesses for metal. Housewives donated pots and pans, farmers turned in farm equipment, and children even sacrificed their metal toys. Many people removed bumpers and fenders from their cars for the war effort. Communities melted down Civil War cannons and tore down wrought iron fences, sacrificing their history for their future...


Here is the link for more about WWII scrap drives.


Make It Do - Scrap Drives in World War II (sarahsundin.com)


From above linked article.


---


Those people who had to evacuate the collapsed building never got a chance to go back and get their belongings.  A lot of stuff was lost in addition to the one man's coin collection.  I wonder how much of it was found and returned, and how much was hauled away in the trucks that removed the debris.


---


We are having some nice low tides, and it looks like there is an area that will move out into the Atlantic, but it doesn't look like it will do much for us.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net