Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2021

8/21/21 Report - Interesting Ring Find. Garrett Ace Test With Silver Rings. Henri Goes North.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report 


Markings on Ring Showing "In God We Tust"



I found a ring that I didn't pay much attention to at first.  At first glance it looked like a rather large but unremarkable sea-seasoned silver ring.  When I took a closer look, I noticed some markings, so I tried to get a better look.  

Can you tell what it is? 


Markings on Inside of Ring Showing "Half Dollar"

I found a small "1905" on the inside, and the words "Half Dollar."

Turns out, it is a ring made out of a 1905 Barber half dollar, and therefore 90% silver and 10% copper.


1905 Barber Half Dollar.
Source: Silverrecylers.com.


If you look closely at the ring, you can see where the leaves extend into the "We Trust."

It was so worn that I didn't notice the marks on the ring at all until I just happened to catch it just right.

On the Equinox it produced a reading of 31/32, which is about the same as the bigger rings I reported on Thursday.

I'm going to try to clean it up a little.

---

Thursday I reported on a test I did with a bunch of rings, mostly silver.  I gave the conductivity numbers for each of those rings.  I did a similar test with the Ace 250, using some of the same rings.


Rings Retested Using the 
Garrett Ace Metal Detector.


The ones I retested with the Ace are shown underlined in the above photo.

The Ace does not give conductivity numbers.  It provides tone discrimination and a 12 point scale, with common items such as coins pictured where they would be on the scale.  That was about the same as the middle ring in row 4.  Using the Equinox on those same rings, the smaller showed a conductivity number of 20 or 21, while the larger rang in at more like 22/23 - not a big difference.

With the Ace the two rings in the bottom, the first rang up as a 9, very much like a dime, and the second rang up as a 10, very much like a quarter.

While the Ace correctly discriminated, I didn't get the same feeling of precision from the Ace that I got from the Equinox.  I'm not sure the more specific numbers added a lot of useful information, but probably some.  

The Ace correctly discriminated between silver and non-silver rings in every case.

The Ace showed the small ring (2nd ring shown in row 1) as an 8 on the 12 point scale.  That is around where a penny would fall.

The two larger rings shown in the bottom row came up as a 9 and 10, respectively,  - very much like a dime and quarter.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Henri didn't do us any good, but will provide some good beach detecting up north.

Looks like we'll get some increased surf in a few days.  The tides are pretty good now.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net