Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2021

8/26/21 Report - Salvage Finds Including 1715 Fleet Finds. My Morning Metal Detecting.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Mudlarking Area.

You can see the mudlarking or sandlarking field at the top left of the photo.  I've been watching this area for a few weeks now.  It wobbles.   By that I mean that the most deeply eroded spot keeps moving up and down the beach depending upon the direction of the most recent waves.  I've found bottles and some other stuff around there. 

I hurried out to check it this morning and took my metal detector along for a change.  There should be some silver coins there.  The trouble is all the other junk.  There are metal pipes, cast iron sinks, car parts and all the common metal junk you will normally find.  That makes it very difficult to pick out any coins with a metal detector.  Nonetheless, I gave it a shot this morning.

A Little Cut Above the Dip.

Unfortunately the area filled in some yesterday or overnight.  I did manage to find some things along the cut.  

The first was a discolored clad quarter.  Then a 1960 something penny.  The area was not cut down enough this morning to get to the old stuff,

Ring Find.

I found this ring, which looks good but isn't.  It gave a 17/18 on the Equinox, but did not test out to be either gold or silver.

I didn't stay long this morning.  I took off before having breakfast.  I should have taken a shovel and some water, but I wanted to get there before the tide came in and I mostly wanted to see how the area was developing.  Unfortunately it wasn't going the right direction.

There should be some old silver coins in that area, but it will have to erode some more and I'll probably have to remove a lot more old junk before I get to them.

---

While the Treasure Coast beaches haven't been very good this summer, the salvage season is progressing nicely.

Over fifty pieces of  worked silver, including candle stick holders and a variety of other ornate silver pieces was found at the Anchor Wreck site, but is thought to possibly be scatter from Corrigan's.

Silver coins, mostly 8 reales and a silver buckle were found at the Cabin Wreck site.
At Corrigan's gold has been found, including a two-escudo, gold flakes and links from a chain.
Thanks to JamminJack.
---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov


Lot of activity in the Atlantic.  Don't know if any of it will help Treasure Coast beach conditions.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


The Treasure Coast surf is around three to five feet this morning.  The angles aren't good.

I'd really like to see beach conditions improve.  Until then I have plenty to keep me busy.

If you go to the beach, take some water or something to drink.  It is hot and you'll lose fluids quickly.


Happy hunting,Treasureguide@comcast.net