Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2021

8/28/21 Report - This Morning's Beaches Showing Some Recent Erosion. Couple Finds. Old Lead/Wood Plug(?)

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

John Brooks Beach Saturday Morning.

With all of the mudlarking and other things I've been doing, I haven't been to the beach much lately.  I thought I should check this morning, so I went out.

I got a later start than I would have liked.  It wasn't real hot when I got there yet, but I missed low tide.

The first place I check was John Brooks.  As you can see from the photos, there were some cuts.  Maybe two feet at the highest.  The beach was fairly steep and not firm - an indication of recent sand loss.


John Brooks Beach Saturday Morning.

I spent about fifteen minutes metal detecting and found the following cheap wire and bead ring. 

 

Wire and Bead Ring Find.

That is the kind of thing I would expect from a slightly cut beach that had been building most of the summer - mostly recent light items.

I then took a look at Frederick Douglass.


Frederick Douglass Saturday Morning.

Frederick Douglass, as usual, looked pretty much like John Brooks.


Frederick Douglass Beach Saturday Morning.

I didn't bother to detect there, but walked a good distance south until I found an area that was more promising.  It cut way back several months ago, and had filled in, but not completely.  

I then found what an the following mystery item.   It appears to be a tapered length of lead in wood.  As you can see, some of the wood has worn away.

Tapered 2.3 Inch Lead in Wood Mystery Object.


Closer Views of Small End of The Same Object.

To me, it appears to be some kind of plug.   I don't think it is something like was pounded into wood and then the wood wore away.  The entire object appears to have been intentionally tapered.  And I think the metal is lead.

What do you think?  Any and all ideas appreciated.

---


Winds Saturday Morning.
Source: Ventusky.com

Ida is headed towards the Louisiana area and is bringing us some southeast winds.

The Treasure Coast surf will be decreasing.   Too bad.  I'd like to see some bigger surf around now.

---

So we "killed," maybe, a planner.  Wish we had one of those.

---

The Covid cases are high in St. Lucie County now.  Seems like the vaccines are fading.  Do what you can to be safe.  

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net