Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2022

1/14/22 Report - Animals That Dig Treasure. Another Recent Find. Wide Variety of Treasure Coast Treasures.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

The coins were minted between 200 and 400 C.E. in different parts of the Roman Empire. Alfonso Fanjul 
See Smithsonian link below.



A badger has led archaeologists to a hoard of more than 200 Roman coins that had been hidden in a cave in Spain for centuries.

The animal had burrowed into a crack in the rock inside the La Cuesta cave in the Asturias region of northwest Spain, and dug out coins that were later discovered by a local man, Roberto García, according to a paper on the find published in December...

Fanjul Peraza says refugees hiding in the area during conflicts among these groups may have hidden the coins in the cave...

Also see Badger leads archaeologists to hoard of Roman coins in northern Spain - CNN Style


Concerning animals digging up treasure, here is what Norbert B said.

 

I spent some time looking for gold nuggets in the Mohave Desert and managed to find a few with my Minelab 2200 SD.  I always checked the dirt thrown out by wildlife.  If you know anything about the desert, you know that an extremely hard calcium carbonate cement forms called “caliche”

(pronounced “ca lee chee”) just below the surface.  Almost impossible to dig through.   Any dirt from an animal burrow that goes through that caliche layer is worth checking.

 


If you watched the full three years of the TV show Detectorists, which I recently discovered on YouTube, you'll remember the magpies that collected shiny gold coins.

My wife and I really enjoyed every episode and wish there were more.

---

Yesterday I posted some recent beach finds.  Here is another.

Gold Ring Found by Kurt R. Wednesday.
Photo by Kurt R.

---

I was recently watching a Thames mudlarking video, and the video showed a brown bottle in the mud.  I thought, I know that bottle.  And I was right.  I found one just like it on the Treasure Coast.  It was a hair restoration product bottle from New York. 

I've seen other bottles and things found by mudlarkers in England that I've found on the Treasure Coast.  I thought about how many different kinds of things we can find on the Treasure Coast. 

Our beaches offer sea glass, shells, old bottles, fossils, indigenous artifacts, items from various wars, and of course jewelry and a variety of coins, including those we are most known for - those from the Spanish treaure fleets.  And it is still hard for me to imagine, rhinoceroses and mammoths on the Treasure Coast, but their remains still show up from time to time.

And there are those gems found in jewelry, but people have also found uncut gems on the Treasure Caost beaches -  most notably, emeralds.  Granted, they are not natural to the Treasure Coast, but they ended up here just the same.  And gold nuggets have been found on our beaches - undoubtely from our shipwrecks.

We really do have a variety of treasures. but there are also some things that are never, or at least very rarely, found on the Treasure Coast.  We don't have Roman coins or other ancient coins like some areas have.  And we don't have meteors on the beaches to any significant extent.  And we don't have dinosaur fossils.  No area has everything, but we certainly have a very wide variety.

--- 


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

The tides are pretty flat now.  

I didn't get around to one topic that I had planned.  Maybe tomorrow.

Happy hunting,

TreasurGuide@comcast.net