Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

7/11/23 Report - What Wreck Site Does This Coin Come From? How To: Separating Wheat From Chaff. WWII Lost Ring.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

1807 Mexico 8-Reale.

Guess where this coin came from.  Where on the Treasure Coast do you think a coin like this might be found?  Of course it didn't have the bezel on it when it was found.  That was added later.  The coin in bezel is listed for sale online for $297.00.  It comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Cobb Coin company.

It was recovered from what is sometimes referred to as the 1810 Wreck, which isn't a wreck that receives a lot of attention these days.  It is commonly said to be "pretty well picked over." 

You might know a lot about the 1715 Fleet wrecks, but very little about his wreck.  Where is it?

It is sometimes called the Archies wreck because it lies roughly opposite Archies restaurant. The ship is supposed to be the Roberts. Sometimes it is referred to as the Holden Wreck and around 1990 - 1991, salvaged by Salvors Inc.

Hundreds of coins were found on the wreck and many on the beach.  Many of the coins are from the 1770s and 1780s.  At least one is dated 1808.   Included are half-reales, two-reales, four-reales, and eight-reales.  As of 2009, the Florida Collection had 94 coins from that wreck.  Detector finds possibly from that area have been made in recent years by readers of this blog.

---

I was thinking of doing a series on treasure sites like that.  Now I'm reconsidering.  I might do that kind of thing only for a smaller and more selective readership.

---

Yesterday I started talking about hoards.  Bowers, of Stack's Bowers Auctions, said "estimates that of a given 100 small or medium size hoards that have been discovered in the past century, probably 90% of them are loosely documented if, indeed, documented at all. Sometimes misinformation is presented in order to throw potential claimants off the track."  

That is something you always have to take into account.  Detectorists are generally pretty honest people, but a few succumb to the temptation.  You probably know about one tremendous 1715 Fleet find that was said to be from the beach but was later was found to have been made in the water.

I once told of the time I encountered a fellow detectorist that I occasionally talked to at one beach.  One day as we talked about things in general, out of the blue he told me "I've been finding a lot of coins to the south."  It felt odd.  He never before offered that kind of information, and the comment seemed very much out of place somehow.  I immediately suspected he was trying to misdirect me.  

He was waiting for another detectorist to show up, so I went out on the beach and immediately headed north.  I was up around the bend and out of sight when I looked back and saw the fellow and his friend come around the bend headed north just behind me.  I had a good idea where they were going and why, and they made a beeline to the spot.

With everything in life, some sources are better than others, and there is always some missing information or noise.  That is especially true with treasure hunting, so you take everything into account, try to put things together and act on your own conclusions.  As they say, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

That reminds me of another story.  One time I was shopping for a gift for my nephew who was very much into magic.  So I was at a looking for a gift at a magic shop.  The salesperson was showing me some tricks and then demonstrated one of the tricks for me.  She asked me to select one of three objects she was holding.  I felt the slightest inclination to select the one on the right.  I could almost feel my hand twitch, but I noticed that tendency and went against it, and selected the item on the left instead.  The salesperson made an awkward move before completing the trick.  It wasn't real smooth.  She then told me that she had demonstrated that trick many times before, and that was the first time anyone ever selected the item I just selected.  I told her I felt the tendency to select the other item, but went against it.

I believe that people (introverts more than others) can increase their sensitivity and internal awareness, and certain exercises may be helpful.  Meditation, prayer, progressive relaxation exercises and biofeedback training might help. 

My post-doctoral research on biofeedback training, which goes along nicely with the other techniques.  The idea behind biofeedback is that people can learn to control autonomic biological functions to some extent.

---

There is a nice blog about memorials to American WWII service men in England that presented the following post along with many others.

This is a private residence, so arrangements should be made with Mr Michael Brown to view the memorial. A C-109 (A B24 Liberator being used as a tanker) crashed shortly after takeoff from nearby Snetterton, or Old Buckenham. There's a question about that. The plane narrowly missed the farmhouse, and the crew was killed. A woman living in the farmhouse at the time saw the plane flying directly toward her before the pilot swerved. Years later, a ring was found on the property, inscribed "Yours Ever, Jenny Lee." The ring was handed over to American visitors to be returned to the family. Hopefully, that is what happened.



Here is the link.

American Memorials in Norfolk & Suffolk: 2013 (eastangliamemorials.blogspot.com)

--

Lately it seems that every time I post something, I turn around and find a new article that says it better than I did.  Here is one.


The Walt Disney Company, plagued by trouble in its streaming business, TV networks, and studios, now faces problems at its mighty theme parks. According to The Wall Street Journal, "Data from a travel company that tracks line-waiting time at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., shows that the Independence Day weekend was one of the slowest in nearly a decade." The deep problems CEO Bob Iger faces grow more troubling by the month.

Disney’s stock has been down 50% in the last two years while the market is flat. Iger replaced Bob Chapek in November 2022, but the two-year-old slide covers the period during which Iger restructured Disney...

Here is the link.

Disney Faces Deepening Trouble (msn.com)

No politics there, but in my opinion not a good informative article.  But then you can look at what Bob Iger (Disney CEO) had to say at a March 2023 Morgan-Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference.

 I think we have to get much more judicious in terms of not just how much we're spending, but what we're spending it on. You know, there is so much consumer choice right now, and it comes back to what can – what is differentiated? One thing, obviously, we talked about are those brands, Star Wars and Marvel and Disney and Pixar, for instance. But quality is also our differentiator. I think HBO proved that well in their halcyon days when high-quality programming made a big difference to them. And not volume. And because the streaming platforms require so much volume, one has to question whether that's the right direction to go. Or can you be more curated, more – basically, I used the word judicious a few times. But I guess more picky about what you're making, and concentrate on quality and not volume. 

Here is the link for the entire talk, which you can skip if you aren't interested.

RAI-MS-2023-0309.pdf (thewaltdisneycompany.com)

You might also find what he said about the interplay of profitability and accessibility.  There you can get into some interesting questions. 

For me, the thing is that Disney has simply lost leadership in the creative arts as well as parks and customer relations.  Notice the numbers for the new, but tired old Indiana Jones movie compared to Sound of Freedom, which brought in much more with much less invested.

I'm just glad I sold my stock when I did.  Maybe someday I'll buy it again.  We'll see.

===

I have a lot more hoards and sites to discuss in the future.  I found tons of notes on sites and finds listed in pencil on a pile of legal pads.  

----

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Just took a glance at windy.com and am expecting more west and south winds.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net